Should i get one?

Discussion in 'The Lensbabies Place' started by Fate, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Fate

Fate TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ok guys, im really tempted by a LB :)

I love the images they produce and i recon i would benfit from having one.... but are they REALLY worth it :) i just wana know from the people who use them!

Thanks in advance,

Fate

2. M @ k o

M @ k o TPF Noob!

Yes they here Fate. I love my LB2 ! For the price, it's a great deal and has great glass. Awesome for portraits and blurring terrible backgrounds. You'll love it, believe me. Go for it !

3. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Unless you want to make it's look "your style", I would only get it if you are happy with the glass you have now. If all you have is the basic kit zoom, I think a prime like a 50mm/f1.8 would be a more useful choice, both as a lens you would use more often and one that would help a zoom user learn photography faster. I consider the LB a more advanced tool to use well, otherwise you just end up with pictures that have "a look" and a funky blur. That said, it is a fun and interesting lens to get to know.

4. Rob

Rob TPF Noob!

You don't often see photos that are as thoroughly thought through with LB and fisheye lenses - the effect on the image is usually so dramatic that elements like composition are completely forgotten. I did see a great picture by Wally using a LB, and there have been some cool effect shots in Darkside, but I personally think they are a touch expensive, considering that you could achieve a similar effect using PS to make the same point (albeit not faithfully, but the blur stuff is really good on CS2).

Just my opinion - but I don't own one and I'm probably jealous!! :)

Rob

5. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I would agree with Mark on the point that you should be happy with the lenses you currently have for "normal" shooting. If you are, and you already know you love the look that the LB produces, then by all means - go for it! :) They are fun to use, and of excellent quality.

I do like the added element of thought that accompanies using such a lens, too. They force you to really study your composition as you select your "sweet spot", which is hand in glove with considering what you want your subject to portray. Lotsa fun. :thumbup:

6. Karalee

Karalee hOtLiPs!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Me, I love my lensbaby. I find I take and see different pictures with it mounted on my camera, photos/compositions etc that I wouldnt "usually" take.

Oh, and theyre so much fun, I couldnt even begin to tell you.

7. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The thing to remember is that the shallow DOF really isn't any different than what you get from any lens with a wide aperture. The difference comes from the ability to shift and tilt the front element, mainly tilt. This lets you tilt the focal plane. Instead of the in-focus area being parallel to the front of the camera, it follows the front of the lens. Tilt the lens down and things will be in focus close at the bottom and further away up top. It's another compositional element to add to the mix.

8. Tony

Tony TPF Noob!

I just bought one on the weekend. I actually knew about them a year ago but basically forgot about them until I visited this site and saw the ad!

9. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    How are you liking it so far, Tony? Post some of your results when you can!

Welcome to the forum, btw. :)

10. Tony

Tony TPF Noob!

oops, forgot about this thread! I'll try to get something up soon. I like it, but I haven't used it enough yet. It's kinda difficult and I need more practice.

11. Dakarthanblu

Dakarthanblu TPF Noob!

By all means, get one of these jobbies, they force you to consider all aspects of composition, should you choose to, prior to firing away; the LB is like vintage Frank Zappa: impressionistic and irreverantly deconstructive.

12. crawdaddio

crawdaddio TPF Noob!

Fate----one word---YES.