Should I get the Nikon D60?

Jillinebinny

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi, I'm completly new here and to photography :)

I've always been interested in photography, but never had the money to get a nice camera. Well now i think i have my chance :)

Costco is having a deal on the Nikon D60 right now. For (EDIT) $825 i get (it's $125 off):
  • The Nikon D60
  • Two VR zoom lenses (18-55mm and 55-200mm)
  • Battery and quick battery charger
  • Neck strap
  • Software
  • 1 GB memory card
  • Camera/accessory bag
  • Two Nikon School DVDs
So we have the money and we can afford it, but i'm wondering if you guys think this is a good deal. I mean, i know it is, but is it worth it. I want to be able to have a camera that will last me a while that i can do a lot of stuff with. I don't want to nessesarily have to upgrade to a better camera a couple years from now. I want this to be a good investment you know?

I just think it's nice because it comes with two lenses, and i could always get more and i can also get an external flash later on if i need one (instead of just the pop up flash). So i could upgrade it a bit, but it's still a good beginner camera. The kind of photography i am looking to do is maternity and baby photos mostly and maybe some weddings, senior photos and engagment photos.

So what do you think, do you think we should get it? Or do you think that there is a better camera that i could get?

EDIT (also posted below):
Ok, so i went to a camera shop and after talking to the guy a little bit i think i might actually go with a cannon. He said for the kind of photography i want to do, that the Cannon EOS Rebek XTi would be better for me.

Anyways, so i need to do some research more, but i think that is the direction i might go. But who really knows?

Well, I got the D60, and it I paid...I think $667 and I got the strap, battery, charger, and the 18-55mm lens. Do I think that what you are looking into is a good deal? Sure! The 55-200mm lens is about $200 at most places, so that would bring me up to $867, so then for...$8 more you get a camera bag, a 1 GB card (which you'll find you will want most likely to get a 4GB card) and 2 DVDs??? You got a hell of a better deal than I did!:mrgreen:

Hm...wonder what the D80 is going for with a similar package. Does the lack of AF in-body camera motor in the D60 pose a problem for you?
If not, I say go for that deal.

The D60 is a good starter/intermediate camera, and could easily last you for many years. It does have limitations however (Chewy mentioned the lack in-camera focusing motor, which restricts the lenses you can use).
I guess it depends on what you see youself doing with photography in a couple of years.

Well, a lot of lenses that you cannot autofocus, you should be able to use, but you'll have to manually focus them.

So, yeah, unless you buy an AF-S lens or HSM (or buy something that states specifically that it'll AF on a D60), you'll have to manually focus.

Someone told me that the camera will still give you a "dummy light" telling you the shot is focused, it just cant turn the focus itself. And everything else works like the nifty I-TTL features they have and whatnot.

I mean, i know it is, but is it worth it.
Check out "Is It Worth It?" by Ken Rockwell. :mrgreen:

Nobody can answer this question except you. After being into photography for many years I finally pulled the trigger on a DSLR when my wife and I found out we were expecting, and I haven't looked back since. The D60 is a nice camera, but if you're unsure about spending that much just realize that the D40 is arguably better in a lot of ways for $200 less. The difference between 6MP and 10MP is negligible unless you plan to print 3 feet wide a lot, or if you tend to tightly crop photos, of which I do neither. For a little bit more than the D60 you can get the D80 which is a much more capable camera with much better lens compatibility as well. The D80 prices have hit rock bottom right now because a replacement (the D90?) is expected very shortly.

Yes, Get a D40 instead, same camera (almost) for much better price.

Yes, Get a D40 instead, same camera (almost) for much better price.

D40s are cool... But the lens that comes with them isn't VR. If that's a problem, then you may want to buy the D40 body and then purchase the lens separately. The D40x doesn't have VR lenses either, in case you find one of those.

"Does the lack of AF in-body camera motor in the D60 pose a problem for you?"

Honestly, i dont know if it does....I really don't know much about this stuff. I know i'll have to get special lenses that have it in the lense, but that's all i know....

"The D60 is a nice camera, but if you're unsure about spending that much just realize that the D40 is arguably better in a lot of ways for $200 less. "

Well, costco has the D40 right now for $600 but it only comes with the 18-55mm and the 55-200mm lenses and a 2GB memory card. Which is still a good deal, but i'd have to still buy things like a camera case, a battery charger, ect and with the D60, they already have that all included in the package.

I looked at best buy but they don't have any nikons. Where do you buy cameras at? I just really don't know...Thanks for all your help :)

"Does the lack of AF in-body camera motor in the D60 pose a problem for you?"

Honestly, i dont know if it does....I really don't know much about this stuff. I know i'll have to get special lenses that have it in the lense, but that's all i know....

Well, I will tell you, from one beginner to another, that manually focusing is NOT that difficult. Really, it's not. Granted, it's more convenient to have autofocusing, but you can still function on non-AF lenses.:mrgreen: There are certain lenses that I wouldn't want to manually focus, but with my 50mm f1.8 doesn't bother me to have to manually focus.

These MF/AF rules apply to the D40 as well. The thing is with the D40 package/kit deal that you just posted about, when I bought my camera off of amazon, it didn't specifically mention that it had a charger and battery, either, but it came with one. I'm pretty sure that a battery and charger are standard with a kit. But you can always call Best Buy to find out.
If you're not going to print HUGE ASS posters, then the extra megapixels are not going to make a difference, I don't believe. With the $200 saved on the D40 kit, you could buy yourself a bag, a 4 GB card, AND a 50mm f1.8 lens. Oh, and all kit cameras come with a strap. Unless it specifically states that it DOES NOT, it should.

The D60 is a nice camera, and at that price, a pretty good bargain too. I would recommend getting the D40 kit, though, because of its better high-ISO performance and generally crisper and smaller images. You can easily print 15x10" photos with 6MP, and a few 30x20's too. The training DVD's aren't really that useful IMO, as it's much more fun finding out those things for yourself.

If you crop your images a lot, then you might want to get the D60. Otherwise, I'd suggest the '40.

Well if you're interested, I have a D60 kit with 18-55 VR lens for sale. You can PM me for details if you want. Bunch of extras for a great price. That's all I'll say since I got scorned for promoting it a while back.

anyway if you're interested, PM me and we'll talk

The thing is with the D40 package/kit deal that you just posted about, when I bought my camera off of amazon, it didn't specifically mention that it had a charger and battery, either, but it came with one. I'm pretty sure that a battery and charger are standard with a kit. But you can always call Best Buy to find out.
If you're not going to print HUGE ASS posters, then the extra megapixels are not going to make a difference, I don't believe. With the $200 saved on the D40 kit, you could buy yourself a bag, a 4 GB card, AND a 50mm f1.8 lens. Oh, and all kit cameras come with a strap. Unless it specifically states that it DOES NOT, it should.

You are right, it comes with the charger and strap and things. The only things that the D60 kit has that the D40 doesn't is the extra lense, the bag, and software.

So are the D60 and D40 pretty much the same, except that the D60 has a new dust reduction system, and that is doens't have VR in the camera, they are only in the lenses right? so the lenses will cost me more?

I'm sorry for asking so many questions, i'm just trying to figure this all out. I want a camera that will last me a while that i can do a lot with. I plan on mostly taking pictures of people (maternity and baby shots mostly probably, some engagment and senior pictures), and then possibly some weddings. So would i be able to start out taking more professional pictures with the D40, or would i want the D60? or would neither of them really work? Thanks for helping me with this.

Most reactions

Back