Should I get the Nikon D90? (Have D5000 now)

I say spring for the D300 too but if you cant afford it then yes for the D90. You just need some of us to be your enablers dontcha. :lmao:

:lol::lol:

No! I need you to be my husband's enablers!
"Honey, everyone on the forum said to go for it! I have to!"

:lmao:

My mind is made up, but he's the one with the paycheck!

Nikon has 3 camera levels:
  1. Entry-level - D3000/D5000/D90 (1/4000 shutter, plastic bodies/no weather sealing)
  2. Prosumer level - D300s/D700 (1/8000 shutter, titanium alloy bodies and weather sealing)
  3. Pro - D3s/D3x (built-in vertical grip, titanium bodies and even better weather sealing)

Although, this really makes me think that I should use my D5000 now to its limits, which I may never be able to do! In a perfect world where I'm great at everything, I'd do this professionally and for that I'd love a Prosumer/Pro camera. If I upgrade to the D90 now, it's hard to justify upgrading to a really nice camera later. If I keep the D5000 now, I still keep the option of buying a pro/prosumer camera while I'm still early in my "career" enough to build a great portfolio with it. Lastly, in a less than perfect world, which I currently live in, where I am not great at everything, the D5000 is great enough on its own, and I can use it reliably as my family camera and have that be all I do.

I hate the back and forth of decision making. If I were rich, this would be easy! LOL

Last edited:
Do it! The buttons are worth it, as well as the info screen on top of the camera for the. Menus suck. If you use it alot you will start to hate it. I have a d90 and love it.

So... yes or no? What would you do? Oh by the way, I have a 35mm 1.8 lens, and would also be getting the 18-105mm kit lens with the camera.

Yes, I would get the D90.

But I would avoid the 18-105mm kit lens if at all possible (personally, I'd avoid any lens with a plastic mount).

I just borrowed a friends D5000. I love the fun little graphics on the back (2 settings, classic and graphic). For what little I used it, the pics didn't seem too different on the computer. Didn't really get to use it in nice sunny weather though (no surprise there). I really wanted to see if its processing (sharpness, contrast etc) was different from the 90 out of the box. It's is a bit smaller which for my crippled hands was a plus but I immediately missed the few extra buttons (only because I was used to them, if you never had them you wouldn't). I didn't use the swival screen but I'm sure at some point it would be a nice feature to have. I would tell you to not stress about your choice. It's a fine camera that will do what you want and give you plenty to learn about digital SLRs (the help button and graphic tips that come up when you change settings are really cool for a newer photog) . You may find later if you get another camera this would make a good second body (keeping you from changing lenses so much) Go have fun.

But I would avoid the 18-105mm kit lens if at all possible (personally, I'd avoid any lens with a plastic mount).

I agree with this statment!

I don't like how a $300+ lens still has a plastic mount.

Kind of like a $900 camera having a plastic body.

Don't you just hate it when you find out an amazing photograph came out of a plastic camera?

Yes, it is unfortunate that the two large DSLR manufacturers (Canon & Nikon) don't offer anything other than plastic bodies under $1000 (MSRP).

EDIT: Just out of curiosity I checked prices at Adorama, and the D90 is currently $770 (body only). The plastic body seems a lot more justifiable at that price. The cheapest Canikon metal body is $175 more (50D at $945 body only).

Last edited:

I have this lens and havent had a problem with it. The only other kit lens option was the 18 - 55mm and same deal with mount I believe. Its a great learning lens. And besides like someone else pointed out. The body is plastic on all the entry levels till you switch to prosumer models. I havent shot with the D5000 and went straight to the D90 and I do love mine. Further down the road I will probably hate plastic mounts as well but for a newbie you really wont know the difference now will you. ;)

I will likely want to upgrade to a pro camera in about a year.

What do you consider "pro"?

Somewhere along the lines of a Nikon D3s, although I'd prefer to upgrade my lenses to the best I can get, as well as other equipment before upgrading the camera body itself.
Unfortunately, the D3s sucks for pro portrature because it only has 12 MP, but it rocks for sports and low light so wedding shooters like it too.

The D3x is the pro portraiture/studio body (24.5 MP).

Screw the d300s, if you are going to go big, go D700.
but if you're going big, why not a d3? i mean...you're making the full body change anyway, right?

EDIT: After reading page 2 of this thread, I feel the need to state that I was only joking.

Get a D300

I'm not strong enough to hold up the D3 to my eye level with a lens......

Most reactions

New Topics

Back