Should I quit this photography internship?

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL!
1272348532_original-lol.gif

It really sounds like you have learned everything you desire to learn about photography. And whether your work is REALLY as good as a professional, remains to be seen. To me, your overall attitude doesn't seem like someone who is very interested in learning photography at all. Which is totally fine- but I doubt that you are able to take professional quality photos. Not that I've seen your work, but your attitude suggests that you don't care enough to really critique yourself.

think he's only made a couple posts. one saying he doesnt see a reason for shutterspeed, apeture, and iso since u can shoot just as good in auto. and this one saying he shoots as good as a pro, don't think he has had the time to post any pics do to his long two day apprenticeship.

don't think he has had the time to post any pics do to his long two day apprenticeship.

Well he will now!

I'm guessing he simply hasn't put his mastery into practice because he doesn't have the right equipment. :(

So I agreed and I just spent the last two days doing this internship with her, and I gotta say I think I am ready to quit honestly. All I really do is carry her bags around and help her set up the lighting. That's it. Then I literally sit there and spend hours watching her shoot various clients
Yep! That's what an internship is all about.

Well, I can already do all of that stuff that she does. Like I said, the only grand difference between me and her is our equipment. There is nothing that she is capable of doing that I already can't. She's rather good at marketing herself though which is something I can definitely say but aside from that, it's a hassle for me I guess.
WAIT!
WAIT!
WAIT!

Let me get my hipboots and respirator on before you shovel any more of that bull****. :lmao: :biglaugh: :lmao: :biglaugh: :lmao: :biglaugh:

Or start posting some of your photographic work.

KmH.....don't be silly! This is the internet, you don't have to back anything you say up! :greenpbl:

I can't believe after a 21 page post about not needing to learn photography functions to be a photographer anyone gives you a second thought anymore. I feel for you because if you can't make it more than 2 days on a job that is easy as heck you are pretty sad. Setting up lighting and watching someone seems like pretty easy work to me. So you have no respect to learn and no desire to work, I think you should go back to playing World of Warcraft and give up on photography, you will eventually anyway why waste others time along the way.

If she is a pro , there is a lot to learn from her. But don't expect that she will give you hands on training. You have to play your part , and be more proactive in your learning experiences. Ask her questions, see how things are done, get a review from her of your work...so on.

Exactly, be PROACTIVE!

Yes you should. With your attitude you are not going to learn anything so what's the point...

1/ Internships here in France are called the new slavery because most of them don't pay :) Not only that but a lot of companies don't really have anything much for the interns to do do beside fetching coffee. It is up to the intern to find something intelligent and worthwhile to do. Internships and/or assitantships are not school, it is up to the intern to learn something.

2/ Then again you seem to say you already know how things work which surprises me a great deal. According to your previous threads and the fact that you are not a working photog, I would believe quite otherwise. She is a pro and, no matter how good or bad she is, I'm sure there is something to learn during the shoots.

3/ Hands on? Carrying and setting up the gear is as hands on as you're going to get for quite a while. Did you really think she was going to turn the camera over to you and go take a coffee break while you played. Get real.

4/ She's a foreigner. She's stingy. Your sense of humor don't jive... No wonder you're sitting at home. This is work, not entertainment, and it is a situation you could find in any job.

Seems to me you should learn about life before you even attempt photography. Cheers.

Way to glorify lazy smelly foreigners :sexywink:

JK, what the man says is true.

Just to add to the above you're carrying and setting up the lights - well that in itself is a lesson in lighting positions; soon enough you'll be told to set various powers on the lights and perform other tasks as needed; maybe holding reflectors or moving lighting around during the shoot (depending on the situation).

It's a case that you've got to pick the lessons up as you go along whilst remaining awake and attentive; otherwise you'll just be the gear carrying person. Also be forward with trying to help, showing personal motivation is far more likely to get them helping you than if you just await to be ordered around.

But he already knows everything remember....

While your sitting there watching you should be picking up on the angles, where the lights are and where the photographer is, how far the lights are from the subject, how the pro interacts with the client, etc.. after the shoot talk to the pro about the shot to try to get them to open up.
If you just sit there like a rock you're not going to learn anything for sure. The pro is not going to drop everything during the shoot to answer questions for you so write them dow if you need to and ask after the shoot.

Good luck, B

Yes, you should be learning by example.

She only uses two lights and a simple backdrop for her shoots. There is nothing miraculous to be learned from that. All she does is shoot on manual with an external flash. I am already capable of shooting as good as her. The only difference is that I use a cheap Mirrorless camera, and she uses a 7D. If I had that kind of equipment, I'd also be set. But anyway, I decided to drop the internship because I don't have the strength to run around NYC at 9 AM just to carry her bags or help her with trivial things that she can personally do herself. I honestly don't know why I agreed to the internship. I guess its because I'm usually bored so I thought it would give me something interesting to do outside of home, but it's a waste of time.

Define "set". Two lights and a backdrop is extremely vague - I'm sure a profound intellectual / photography genius would know the significance of the placement/height/angle of each light right? Care to explain? And if you don't have the strength to carry camera gear, then you sir need to invest in a gym membership. But I'm sure you have already mastered working out, too.

While your sitting there watching you should be picking up on the angles, where the lights are and where the photographer is, how far the lights are from the subject, how the pro interacts with the client, etc.. after the shoot talk to the pro about the shot to try to get them to open up.
If you just sit there like a rock you're not going to learn anything for sure. The pro is not going to drop everything during the shoot to answer questions for you so write them dow if you need to and ask after the shoot.

Good luck, B

I agree. Learn by watching then learn by doing, but, MOST importantly, LEARN! How you phrased your question stinks of arrogance and portrays a person who is looking down on their peers. Take on board EVERYTHING that you are able to see and periodically ask the question why. You have a door that has opened for you with this so, do the grunt work with your eyes WIDE open, watch everything that happens around you and, suck it up. Pay attention at all times, let go of your ego for the time it takes to learn, then get all you can from this experience. Or don't and see how far that gets you.

This.

Well, I can already do all of that stuff that she does. Like I said, the only grand difference between me and her is our equipment. There is nothing that she is capable of doing that I already can't. She's rather good at marketing herself though which is something I can definitely say but aside from that, it's a hassle for me I guess.

So, let's see some of your master work! We can tell you if a 7D will make your photos a "grand" difference.

Matrixgravity said:
She only uses two lights and a simple backdrop for her shoots. There is nothing miraculous to be learned from that. All she does is shoot on manual with an external flash. I am already capable of shooting as good as her. The only difference is that I use a cheap Mirrorless camera, and she uses a 7D. If I had that kind of equipment, I'd also be set. But anyway, I decided to drop the internship because I don't have the strength to run around NYC at 9 AM just to carry her bags or help her with trivial things that she can personally do herself. I honestly don't know why I agreed to the internship. I guess its because I'm usually bored so I thought it would give me something interesting to do outside of home, but it's a waste of time.
You aren't going to get far in this world if you quit everything because you aren't getting your way. That's what an internship is - you do the work nobody else wants to do. She isn't going to teach your for free. You are as capable as her? Then why aren't you a fashion photographer and why did you agree to an "internship" if you are that great after learning photography for a little while. You must be a freakin genius!

He is a freakin genius! Hes such a good fauxtographer, he doesnt even need to post his work. Just look at his facebook!

The camera/gear doesn't make a better photographer. That comes down to vision and skill. I assist a wedding photographer in Calgary and all I ever do is lug gear it seems. Its very minimal second shooting. Basically I am her Sherpa but I have learned a lot about posing. Seems to me that your attitude has already soured you on this assignment and your just looking for validation to quit.

THISSSSSSS^

well if your on the same level as she is. go pro yourself and grab your own intern.

I have no interest in going 'pro' with Photography. It is merely a hobby and nothing more..I only took the internship because I have nothing better to do during the weekend so I thought it would be fun to try out. Boy was I wrong.. lol

You are the type of person that tevo lays out in front of the Dean's office, just because he is such a whiny *****. Worth the suspension.

Less than a month ago you asked if it was worth learning the iso, aperture and shutter speed, i'm new to all this myself but i reckon there is no way you can do all the stuff that she does! theres a reason why she is the photographer and you carry the lights and make the tea!

Yes, Yes I very much can. I'm tired of people portraying Photography as some sort of divine skill that very few are capable of doing. I can assure you, there is nothing even remotely difficult about it. Once you are able to grasp the primitive and most basic commands of a camera, and you continue to work yourself up to working with Manual, you have already mastered it. The next step is purchasing decent equipment, and then having an idea of how you desire to shoot your subject. There really is nothing elaborate about it. As I have already previously stated, I have decided to quit because there is nothing of benefit to be derived from this. There is nothing that she can do, that I already can't. I just don't have as much passion and drive as she does. Those are the only dividing lines. I have no desire to go Pro at all. I just do it as a hobby.

If it isnt a divine skill, lets see some of your work! I expect nothing short of professional quality, amazing photographs.

Matrixgravity said:
Yes, Yes I very much can. I'm tired of people portraying Photography as some sort of divine skill that very few are capable of doing. I can assure you, there is nothing even remotely difficult about it. Once you are able to grasp the primitive and most basic commands of a camera, and you continue to work yourself up to working with Manual, you have already mastered it. The next step is purchasing decent equipment, and then having an idea of how you desire to shoot your subject. There really is nothing elaborate about it. As I have already previously stated, I have decided to quit because there is nothing of benefit to be derived from this. There is nothing that she can do, that I already can't. I just don't have as much passion and drive as she does. Those are the only dividing lines. I have no desire to go Pro at all. I just do it as a hobby.

Just because you can shoot in manual does not mean you have mastered it. Maybe you understand how to shoot on manual but can you get perfect pictures SOOC every time. And you don't need to purchase any extra equipment - the equipment doesn't do anything if the photographer sucks.

Nobody portrayed it as divine skill that few have - shooting on manual isn't that hard but that's not all there is to it even thought that's what you seem to think.

Half the photographers on this website would **** on your work with a disposable camera. Including Megan :sexywink:

Less than a month ago you asked if it was worth learning the iso, aperture and shutter speed, i'm new to all this myself but i reckon there is no way you can do all the stuff that she does! theres a reason why she is the photographer and you carry the lights and make the tea!

Post some of your work then? if its good i will be the first to apologise

THISSSS!! Has anyone even seen his work?

Matrixgravity said:
The only cool looking aesthetic effects you can do with a camera are Depth of field, and Bokeh. Other than that, is there really any point in learning how to use Aperture, ISO, and Shutter Speed? I mean, can't a beginner just purchase an expensive DSLR and just shoot on auto and produce professional looking pictures? I mean, the only reason you would need aperture,ISO, or shutter speed is if you wanted to create depth of field, or bokeh. Other than that, what is the point though? Thats what confuses me..There really doesn't seem like there is much to do with a camera aside from bokeh and depth of field..That is all I ever see..
This says it all ^^^^^

Oh, so THATS what photography is! I thought it was an artistic balance between technical knowledge and aesthetic valuing, put together by age-old compositional guidelines, used to portray meaning, evoke feelings, and capture decisive moments that may never again be seen by the world. Guess not. Its just DoF and bokeh.

Not that I've seen your work...

Has anyone here seen any of his work??

He's worked pretty hard to make himself look like an ass..

WAIT!
WAIT!
WAIT!

Let me get my hipboots and respirator on before you shovel any more of that bull****. :lmao: :biglaugh: :lmao: :biglaugh: :lmao: :biglaugh:

Or start posting some of your photographic work.

Silly old man :lmao:

KmH.....don't be silly! This is the internet, you don't have to back anything you say up! :greenpbl:

11qjtc1.jpg

I can't believe after a 21 page post about not needing to learn photography functions to be a photographer anyone gives you a second thought anymore. I feel for you because if you can't make it more than 2 days on a job that is easy as heck you are pretty sad. Setting up lighting and watching someone seems like pretty easy work to me. So you have no respect to learn and no desire to work, I think you should go back to playing World of Warcraft and give up on photography, you will eventually anyway why waste others time along the way.

He trolls TPF while playing WoW.

Does this guy finally qualify for the "Best Troll" award??

No, he doesn't deserve an award.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back