Should I return my T1i?

mellowGOLD

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I got a Canon T1i with 18-55 and 55-200mm about a month ago. Just now, I read an article on Gizmodo that Canon might release the next T1i or at least announce it in a week.

Heres the article:
Unconfirmed: New Canon Rebel DSLR Coming Next Week, Bringing Better Video - Canon t2i - Gizmodo

My question is, since i can still return the T1i w/ lens, should I just return my T1i and wait for the new camera?

I got the T1i with 2 lenses + camera bag for $899, which was quite good. Is it worth it to return it and get the new one? thanks

so...have you used the T1i much at all?...are you unhappy with it?.....is it not what you expected from it?
If it suits your photography for now, why change it just so you have the latest model?
Is the T2i going to be that much better for you than your current T1i?
Those are the questions you need to consider and probably some more.
Makes no sense, to me anyway, to change just to have the latest model if what you've got will do you just fine.

Thanks for the quick reply. I love my T1i, suits me well, but seeing its "rumored/proposed changes" I would like to have the new build quality/shape as well as selectable fps in video. If its around the same price, my question becomes more a "why not?"

Thanks for the quick reply. I love my T1i, suits me well, but seeing its "rumored/proposed changes" I would like to have the new build quality/shape as well as selectable fps in video. If its around the same price, my question becomes more a "why not?"

Fair enough I guess....personally I do not like video function on a DSLR....I think its a gimmick to sell more DSLR's, similar as to the increasing number of Megapixels in mid range DSLR's (but thats a whole other subject ;) ).....I'd rather and do own, a dedicated video camera.

you do realize that by the time the next generation of camera, laptop, pc, GPS, DVD, Stereo, (insert electronic product) hits the store shelves, it is already being replaced by another model. You'll never be able to keep up. Stick with what you have until it no longer meets your needs.

If you have plans on moving up to a 50d or 7d in the future and want to sell the T1i, then maybe you should because a T2i would have a better resale. Otherwise enjoy the camera you have.

I heard a rumor that Canon and Nikon will release updates to their consumer products about once every year.

It's not a rumor... it's actually a fact. What you buy today will be replaced with a newer model in the next 12 months.

So, if this is going to bother you I would suggest either getting a Costco membership so you can return your camera every 12 months and upgrade or win the lottery so you don't have to worry about returning your body every 12 months and you can just get a handy collection going.

Anyway, the T2i is a rumor at this point. If they announce it at the end of the month as predicted, it will still be a couple of months after that before they land on shelves. You're probably, at best, 3 to 4 months away from even seeing one...

Fair enough I guess....personally I do not like video function on a DSLR....I think its a gimmick to sell more DSLR's, similar as to the increasing number of Megapixels in mid range DSLR's (but thats a whole other subject ;) ).....I'd rather and do own, a dedicated video camera.
It's a gimmick in the same vein that pictures are a gimmick in DSLRs. :) Have you seen some of the videos being produced by 5D's and 1D4's? Their quality rivals that of the best dedicated digital video cameras.

I used to have the same opinion... but as I've watched more and more pros adopt 5D's and 1D's for video... I've decided I was hasty in my judgment.

On a consumer body like the T1i, the video is even more useful. If you're going to Mexico for a week, would you rather take a DSLR and a video camera or would you rather just take a DSLR?

I have always thought a camera that can also shoot video is really handy... I have rarely gone back to watch long videos captured with dedicated cameras.. What I find when shooting video on a "photo" camera... is that I only video a few minutes at a time.. and its typically and much more memorable moment.. at least that's how I see it..

The T1i is supposed to have a firmware update for 30fps 1080p at some point. I wouldn't worry about upgrades, as the 15 megapixels and myriad settings you have should prove to be plenty.

I agree with the above comments. Canon released the 40D about a week after I bought my 30D. The 30D still did me great for years (and still works fine). It's like computers ... they keep making them faster, smaller, etc., but the old ones still work fine. Especially if you're a noob, you won't use a fraction of what your new camera can do for a while. I say enjoy what you have, hone your skills, and move up later when your requirements demand a new body.

So, if this is going to bother you I would suggest either getting a Costco membership so you can return your camera every 12 months and upgrade...

Sorry, but Costco limits you down to a 90 day return policy, not 12 months...unless you through a hissy fit about it! :D

As far as updates to the cameras firmware, where can i get those at? It would definetly be sweet if they up their fps to 30 on the T1i for the 1080 option!!! :headbang:

Oh... and to stay on topic, KEEP THE CAMERA! :thumbup:

So, if this is going to bother you I would suggest either getting a Costco membership so you can return your camera every 12 months and upgrade...

Sorry, but Costco limits you down to a 90 day return policy, not 12 months...unless you through a hissy fit about it! :D

As far as updates to the cameras firmware, where can i get those at? It would definetly be sweet if they up their fps to 30 on the T1i for the 1080 option!!! :headbang:

Oh... and to stay on topic, KEEP THE CAMERA! :thumbup:
I guess I don't need a membership then. The guys at the office talked about returning their Xbox's for 360's after owning them for over a year. I guess they pitched a hissy fit or they changed their exchange policies. :D

The guys at the office talked about returning their Xbox's for 360's after owning them for over a year. I guess they pitched a hissy fit or they changed their exchange policies. :D

The old Costco policy basically allowed indefinite returns. This policy was discontinued a couple of years ago.

Most reactions

Back