Should I sell 50mm F1.8 to buy 50mm F1.4?

anubis404

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I currently have an extra $200 on my hands that I would like to spend on something photographic. I could either upgrade my D70s to a D200, upgrade my 50mm F1.8 for an F1.4, or put it towards a lens that I haven't thought of yet. I really like the look of the 50mm F1.4, and have seen some amazing pictures taken with it, portrait and other. But is it worth double the price of the F1.8? Besides aperture and price, what does the F1.4 give you that the F1.8 doesn't?

I'm not as familiar with the Nikon version as I am with the Canon...but the biggest difference is probably build quality. Also, the Canon version of the F1.4 has USM focus while the F1.8 does not...not sure about Nikon.

The 50 1.4 Nikon is a lot nicer lens, however you would do really well to upgrade that body. If I were you, I would get the D200.

2/3 of a stop, probably better bokeh, and better build quality is what you'll get out of the f/1.4

What exactly are you looking for in your photos that your current gear doesn't give you? Having $200 is not by itself a good reason to buy things ;)

Are you limited by the speed or build quality of the 1.8?

If I were you, I would invest in either the D200 body (that's a nice upgrade) or add another lens to your arsenal. Perhaps a wide angle prime?

I recently switched from the D70 to the D300 and what a difference. I would imagine the difference would be similar.

I would rather upgrade the body. The 50MM F/1.8, I would daresay unless you are shooting "professionally" that you will be hard pressed to get anything out of it that you aren't getting out of the 50MM F/1.8 already.

Thanks for the input. I really love my D70, and do not feel limited by it except when it comes to ISO performance. I am going to add the Sigma 18-50 F2.8 HSM to my arsenal soon, which will probably leave me to sell the 18-70, and I can probably get another $100-$150 out of that sale. I love my 50mm F1.8, but am wondering if there is a better portrait lens out there for me (such as the 85mm F1.8). I want a wider lens and a longer lens. My eyes are on the Tokina 50-135 and the Sigma 10-20, but it'll be a long time before I can afford both lenses. I can probably get one of them this year and wait awhile to get the other.

Since the price of the D200 all of a sudden dropped, I think that may be the next on my list. My only concern is letting my D70s go for too cheap, as my D40 did. I also have lost the body cap for the D70s, and I need to find it. If I can get $350 for my D70s body, I'll be happy. I just don't want to go through selling it at this moment.

I would say upgrade the body. I just did and I am completely in love. If you use your currrent camera to the limit of its ability, then you won't be disappointed.

Thanks for the input. I really love my D70, and do not feel limited by it except when it comes to ISO performance. I am going to add the Sigma 18-50 F2.8 HSM to my arsenal soon, which will probably leave me to sell the 18-70, and I can probably get another $100-$150 out of that sale. I love my 50mm F1.8, but am wondering if there is a better portrait lens out there for me (such as the 85mm F1.8). I want a wider lens and a longer lens. My eyes are on the Tokina 50-135 and the Sigma 10-20, but it'll be a long time before I can afford both lenses. I can probably get one of them this year and wait awhile to get the other.

Since the price of the D200 all of a sudden dropped, I think that may be the next on my list. My only concern is letting my D70s go for too cheap, as my D40 did. I also have lost the body cap for the D70s, and I need to find it. If I can get $350 for my D70s body, I'll be happy. I just don't want to go through selling it at this moment.

I felt limited constantly by the D70s once I really got into photography. Low pixels (hard for large prints and cropping), poor ISO performance, no remote cable ability (I do a lot of night shots), bracketed shots were limited to 3 without doing it manually, only 5 focus points. It is a great entry-level camera, but like I said, if you push your camera to its limits, you will eventually want to upgrade. If you don't need these features, I would save up for an ultra-wideangle :) They are a lot of fun and really useful.

BTW, You can buy a new body cap :)
Right now I am holding onto my D70s. I may convert it to IR in the Spring.

Thanks Lycca. Unfortunately, upgrading to a D200 would cost me a little more than $200, and the only thing that I feel limited with the D70s is ISO, and that's it. I'm still considering upgrading, but am wondering if better ISO performance is really worth the $200-300 more.

As for a wide angle, I think that will be my next lens. Are there any other in the $400 range besides the Sigma you would reccomend.

As much as I like spending other peoples money, if you're talking about lenses and bodies, $200 isn't worth the squabble. Better to have the money earning interest until there is a need IMO.

Oh, BTW...... you do already have a good tripod, quality filters and the other staples, don't you?

Just my 2¢ on your $200. :biggrin: Good luck on your decision.

Thanks Lycca. Unfortunately, upgrading to a D200 would cost me a little more than $200, and the only thing that I feel limited with the D70s is ISO, and that's it. I'm still considering upgrading, but am wondering if better ISO performance is really worth the $200-300 more.

As for a wide angle, I think that will be my next lens. Are there any other in the $400 range besides the Sigma you would reccomend.

Agreed, but you did list that as one of your options. I wondered what kind of deal you were getting ;)

For the wide-angle, I really like mine for the price:
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Tokina-AT-XAF124DXN-12-24mm-Wide-Angle-Nikon/dp/B00099C2M6]Amazon.com: Tokina AT-XAF124DXN 12-24mm Wide-Angle Lens for Nikon: Camera & Photo[/ame]

It has some weaknesses, but short of upgrading to the Nikon version (one day), I'm pretty happy with it :)
I took these last weekend with this lens:
Lyncca Harvey Photography : photos : Attebury Grain- powered by SmugMug
and tons of others in my gallery.

As much as I like spending other peoples money, if you're talking about lenses and bodies, $200 isn't worth the squabble. Better to have the money earning interest until there is a need IMO.

Oh, BTW...... you do already have a good tripod, quality filters and the other staples, don't you?

I agree here too. $200 doesn't get you much unfortunately in the way of lenses and bodies. I eventually just had to accept that unfortunate fact!

I do.

Part of the question was to spend it now or save it.

I think I'm going to save it for the Sigma or maybe the Tokina. I haven't heard much about the Tokina 12-24, but I have heard that the Sigma 10-20 is an amazing lens, especially for the price. I think it will be my first choice.

Most reactions

Back