Should I sell my D610 and get a used D800?

The 24-70 2.8 is a nice lens yes, but I don't care for the weight and size of it. It just isn't what I want or need. I just prefer using prime lenses. But for me to be able to afford those lenses, I hope I get in a car wreck and get injured and just hope its some rich guy's fault. LOL But, I'm happy with what I have currently. Just want a macro lens to have some fun with.

I use Nikon's 24-85 f/2.8-4.0 AF-D as my go to lens between a Nikon WA 18-35 AF-D & 80-200/2.8 AF-D
It gets very high marks in the IQ tests out there over some 24-70's, and is actually a really inexpensive used lens. I prefer it over the 35-70/2.8 AF-D that I also have.

I've also debated selling the 50 1.8G and possibly getting both the 85 1.8G and 105 2.8G...but I don't know if thats smart. I use my 35 f/2 a lot more than the 50, but I do like how the 50 1.8G renders the bokeh, its really pretty.

Don't see the 50mm bringing in much on the used market.

Yeah it doesn't make no sense. Lol. I think I'll just get the 105 2.8G. Maybe the Tamron 90mm..but I don't know.

Yeah it doesn't make no sense. Lol. I think I'll just get the 105 2.8G. Maybe the Tamron 90mm..but I don't know.

No offence, but you really look like very indecisive. Several macro lenses in mind; D610 vs. D800; 50mm vs. 85mm; etc.

To be honest, maybe you should save your money by now and skip buying anything for the next 3-6 months. Keep shooting with the gear you already have. Create some photo challenges for yourself (some photo projects), and while doing it, try to feel better where the gap in your gear is (if any). What's missing to go on with these projects.

You have very good gear in your hand, that few people in this planet have access to, a D610 and four very capable lenses (24-85 VR, 35 f/2D, 50 1.8G, and 70-300 VR), but it seems like you're not valuing your current gear, and that you've been listening to amateur facebook communities with gear lust and GAS (gear acquisition syndrome). So think about giving the GAS a break, and go out more, to shoot, and have fun, with some projects or challenges for yourself, before commiting to a new gear and regreting later. I'm sure you could find your own answers in 3-6 more months.

Does that make sense? Only you can tell...

Last edited:
I am very indecisive. You should go grocery shopping with me..only takes a few hours. LOL.

I am in need of a macro lens though and so I believe I made my final decision to go with the new Tamron 90mm f/2.8 VC. It offers exactly what I'm looking for and several people recommended it over the Nikon 105.

Thanks for the help everyone!

24MP is PLENTY for me. The files size doesn't matter to me, I got plenty of storage and high end machine to process them anyways.

My gut is saying to stick with the D610 and invest in more glass. I belong to a Nikon Discussion Group on Facebook and I'm just really surprised how many say the D610 is a piece of crap, but on here its the opposite. Makes me wonder if that group is just full of people with endless pockets of money and have actually no knowledge. LOL.
Looking at the lenses you have in your signature I think you will do better if you will get better faster glass.
I got to compare my Tami 70-200mm 2.8 with Nikon 70-300mm and sharpness is just big between these 2 lenses.
Also I used to own Nikon 24-85mm VR and it was a great lens but the Nikon 24-70mm 2.8 which replaced it really helped me a lot to keep ISO lower and thus get much cleaner photos.
Faster better glass will do much more good for your overall photos then moving to the D800
D610 is an outstanding camera, with good glass its going to give you amazing results!!!
Keep the D610

The 24-70 2.8 is a nice lens yes, but I don't care for the weight and size of it. It just isn't what I want or need. I just prefer using prime lenses. But for me to be able to afford those lenses, I hope I get in a car wreck and get injured and just hope its some rich guy's fault. LOL But, I'm happy with what I have currently. Just want a macro lens to have some fun with.
Primes will do the job nicely, there are some "D" prime lenses for very reasonable prices, this will give you good IQ and good low light performance.

24MP is PLENTY for me. The files size doesn't matter to me, I got plenty of storage and high end machine to process them anyways.

My gut is saying to stick with the D610 and invest in more glass. I belong to a Nikon Discussion Group on Facebook and I'm just really surprised how many say the D610 is a piece of crap, but on here its the opposite. Makes me wonder if that group is just full of people with endless pockets of money and have actually no knowledge. LOL.
Looking at the lenses you have in your signature I think you will do better if you will get better faster glass.
I got to compare my Tami 70-200mm 2.8 with Nikon 70-300mm and sharpness is just big between these 2 lenses.
Also I used to own Nikon 24-85mm VR and it was a great lens but the Nikon 24-70mm 2.8 which replaced it really helped me a lot to keep ISO lower and thus get much cleaner photos.
Faster better glass will do much more good for your overall photos then moving to the D800
D610 is an outstanding camera, with good glass its going to give you amazing results!!!
Keep the D610

Primes will do the job nicely, there are some "D" prime lenses for very reasonable prices, this will give you good IQ and good low light performance.

I love my 35 f/2..my favorite lens so far. I dig the 16mm f/2.8D fisheye..but probably wouldn't use it that much. I hear the 20 2.8D is also a fantastic prime and that is something I wouldn't mind owning.

Keep the D610

I love my 35 f/2..my favorite lens so far. I dig the 16mm f/2.8D fisheye..but probably wouldn't use it that much. I hear the 20 2.8D is also a fantastic prime and that is something I wouldn't mind owning.
There you go then, get the prime "D" lenses that best suits your wallet and needs and you got yourself a winner combination, awesome camera with awesome lenses!!!
Your pictures will look great and your wallet will be happy, this my friend is what we call "Win/Win Situation" :)

Most reactions

Back