Should I shoot with the UV filter on?

anubis404

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Should I be shooting with the UV filter on? Does the uv filter do anything good for the photo?

Can you put two filters on at once?

I have a circular polarizer, will the UV filter fit on top of that?

you can, although as I did today, when I went inside for photos I'd take my polarizer off, and I put the UV on, but when outside I only use my polarizer (when it's sunny enough), I'm totally all for using a filter, for protection if nothing else, but the polarizers are good for sunlight. When I am using the polarizer, I keep off the UV so I don't have all the layers of glass covering my lense, but you do what you want. Use at least 1 filter at a time, you spent too much money on that lense to go scratching it up.

There's no real advantage, and plenty of potential disadvantages, to putting a UV filter in front of a polarizing filter. The polarizing filter itself probably cuts UV very well because of the properties of the polarizing foil.

The addition of an extra filter increases the risk of flare - you are adding two extra parallel refelecting surfaces. You are also adding to the 'tube' effect of the filters - with a wide angle lens you could get cut-off in the corners, also called vignetting.

Best,
Helen

I keep a UV filter in front most of the time. I remove it if I'm concerned with the image being degraded by bright reflections or when shooting towards the sun, etc.
I like to use a polarizer if the sky is in the image, or to remove reflections from glass.
I wouldn't use two filters at the same time. Remove the UV before attaching the polarizer.
...Terry

I would pick one or the other. I have never seen the advantage to a UV filter, at least the ones sold as "protective" filters. Working at Ritz all I ever saw them as were extra sales for the people unscrupulous enough to push them on people (I was never one of them to my financial detriment). When it comes to a polarizer in front of a UV never!! I completely agree with Helen on this one if you are going to use a polarizer and you find it necesarry to have a UV take the time to take off the UV before you use the polarizer what can it take like ten seconds??.

UV filters should ALWAYS be on the lens. They protect the lens and in addition, they reduce the haze in the image. I always have my UV filters on on all my lenses and put polarizers in front of them.

JIP YOU AGREE WITH ME TOO, IT'S NEVER ABOUT ME!!!!!!!!!! I SAID THE SAME THING!!!! ok I got carried away there.

So, is the UV even necessary? If the Polarizer protects against most of the UV rays then is the UV really necessary? I have had my D40 for about a week now, and I have never used any filter until about two days ago when I got my polarizing filter. The UV is taking quite awhile to ship.

Neither the UV of the Plolizer is "Necessary" and each thing you put between the lens and the film gives you a light loss. But there is a lot to be said for the protection the esentually clear UV gives outside or in storage. I keep a polorizer on all of the time because I do most of my shooting outside and like the effect on water and clouds. Its you choise.Judge Sharpe

If you are in low light conditions don't user the polarizer, just use the UV, so yes, the UV should be used. When it is sunny, the polarizer is the protection for your lense, along with helping the photos in the light. Done.

If you do decide to keep the UV filter on, do spend a little cash and pull for a good quality UV filter.

Personally, I keep a good quality UV filter on and leave lens caps (rear and front) at home... that's just me.

There's no real advantage, and plenty of potential disadvantages, to putting a UV filter in front of a polarizing filter. The polarizing filter itself probably cuts UV very well because of the properties of the polarizing foil.

The addition of an extra filter increases the risk of flare - you are adding two extra parallel refelecting surfaces. You are also adding to the 'tube' effect of the filters - with a wide angle lens you could get cut-off in the corners, also called vignetting.

The only complete and correct answer, afaic.

Use a filter when it is appropriate. Don't use a filter when it is not. UV filters are to cut excess UV light. You'll find excess UV light at altitude (over 3,000 feet), in the desert or savannah, at the seaside/on the beach, at sea, and in snowscapes. If you're not in any of those situations then there is no excess UV light. So then you don't need to use a UV filter. You'll get clearer images too.

Never stack filters (unless they're ND filters).

Always shoot with a hood.

Most reactions

Back