Should I switch to 24-70mm2.8 from 24-105mm f4l.

In reading this thread for the first time just now, my first thought was what camera do you have? Your post earlier today confirms it...a 6D.

I bought a 5Diii for it's high ISO/low noise and excellent focusing. The high ISO has made no flash, night photography so very easy...and I have the 24-105 f4L, too. For ISO... start at 6400 and go UP from there! Your 6D can shoot just as high if not higher ISO than the 5Diii! Just this morning, I was out and about at 4AM and was comfortably taking pictures at f4, 1/160th, ISO 10000 with no noticeable noise in the JPGs straight out of the camera. I shoot JPG+RAW, so I can get the 'best' noise reduction capabilities I have between LR and PSE w/Noiseware.

Do I miss the f2.8 on my 80-200 L or f2.0 on the 135L when I have the 24-105 mounted? Not a bit! And don't overlook the IS in the 24-105. I've even slowed down the ISO and was doing hand held 1/30th with fairly slow moving subjects without blur. Unless you have rock-steady hands, 1/30th without IS will end up camera shake blur more often than not.

And one more thing...if you haven't already done so, do a Micro Focus Adjust on all your lenses with the 6D. I thought my 24-105 was just a tad soft on my 60D and 5Diii, until I did MFA on it at distances I usually shoot at...50-75 feet. Since then, the results with the 24-105 are every bit as sharp as the 24-70 f2.8L mark i I had a couple of years ago and ultimately sold.

I almost purchased the 24-105 but instead ended up with 24-70 2.8 II. It is a really great lens, fast auto focus, good contrast, and ex sharpness

I have the Nikon 24-70mm 2.8G and its an awesome lens, I wouldnt dream of letting it go for a lens like the 24-105mm F4.
My lens doesnt have a VR (Nikon for IS) and I shoot as low as 1/30 with it with great results.
If you want best of both worlds then get the Tamron 24-70mm 2.8 VC, its a great sharp lens and has a fantastic VC and is cheaper then the Nikon/Canon lenses.

Both lenses are excellent lenses, but work better for different situations. The 24-105 is at home as a walk-around lens, while the 24-70 is better suited to indoors and low light situations. Bottom line keep em both. They are both excellent tools to have around.

I just bought a 24.70 2.8 MK II and retired my MK I. I LOVE my II. I'm no pro either, just a hobbyist, but the sharpness and faster focus to me are the most compelling reasons.

I have my MK I up for sale, but a photog buddy of mine is looking at it, debating whether or not to buy it from me. If I don't happen to sell it to him I'll let you know.

Most reactions

Back