Should I switch to Cannon?

[Dillz];1807650 said:
Yeah You guys are right....Derrel I plan to be in the fashion world. No doubt. I want to learn as much as I can. Im just trying to emulate the great by finding out what they use. :)

Guys im looking for a better body and the d300 looks nice,(abit up there in price) also the d5000. Maybe for now (as I save up money) I should buy a better lens? Any ideas?
D5000 sets you in the same situation with the 50mm, it wont auto focus. D90 would be your minimum upgrade.

A few years ago, a fairlt well-known fashion/commercial/editorial photographer named James Russell (of Russell-Rutherford) shot quite a bit of published work and large poster-sized POP placards for cosmetics companies with the Fuji S2 Pro and fairly basic Nikon lenses, like the 35mm f/2 AF-D and an AF Nikon 50mm lens. He of course, had/has wonderful lighting equipment, top stylists,and superb retouchers who make the captures into the final files...

The Fuji S2 Pro was a pretty pedestrian camera by today's standards (I know--I still have mine). I'd keep the D60 and add another Nikon body when you can afford it, and work on improving your shot discipline. This will not happen overnight. Buy used lenses when you can get a good deal on them. Rome wasn't built in a day, not even a year, not even a decade...Can you even grow a full beard yet, D??? :)

If all you want is AF with your 50mm I would get a D50 (Only $275) but I would just listen to these guys.

Just checked out your website looks like your work is developing nicely- very good job!

Do not change brands, its all about the same- photographers make pictures not cameras. Better lenses do not make better pictures, better photographers make better pictures.

I can tell rather quickly in looking at someones pictures if they understand a lens (meaning a specific focal length) and if they don't. My 2 cents would be to keep it as simple as possible and continue developing your vision.
It is my take this is best done by limiting your tools rather than expanding them. If your serious learn one lens again meaning 1 focal length (or a very very limited range zoom).

One thing to note on the cameras you have and are considering there is a conversion of 1.5 conversion meaning a 50mm on your camera is a 75mm (50+25=75) on a 35mm film camera. A 75mm is considered a very short portrait lens (but also referred to as long because its above 50mm).

So if you want to learn a standard lens with those cameras a 35mm is a 52.5 close to what a normal lens is. This is the best place to start 50mm was and still is a normal lens on a 35mm film camera. Everything below 50mm is considered wide and everything above is considered long on a 35mm film (or full frame digital). I think it is helpful for people to have a handle on this conversion if they are just getting rolling.

Decide you are responsible for everything in the rectangle. If an area of the rectangle is uninteresting to you change your position until it is all interesting. If it is not, continue making pictures with the goal of making the entire picture space interesting. It is also very helpful to use the philosophy of never cropping an image this will help teach you more about how a specific lens sees the world and improve your images more. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Forget your camera for now and start planning for your lighting kit and start picking up those pieces as you can.

If you are going to be the fashion king you must first be the master of light.

Stick with your Nikon. You already invested in it and you aren't going to be gaining anything by switching, and this is coming from a long time Canon shooter. If you really like the Canon cameras a lot, then by all means switch. Just be ready to reinvest all your money in the new system.

I agree with others saying they are equals. I work in a giant electronics chain and I get customers all the time that want a definitive answer that one is better than the other. I'll tell them that they are both fantastic and there are no main differences except brand and user interface and need to choose based on which they feel more comfortable with; they look at me like I have three heads. They then ask "so which one is better. I want the better one" after I just explained that they need to pick up the equals of both brand (say the D5000 and the T1i) and decide which is more comfortable.

Pros shoot Canon, not because they actually shoot with a Canon, but that's the people you see. This is your subtle advertisement. I had this conversation with a local a good half a year ago. He said that all the pros he knows shoot Canon and that I should switch. I replied funny that, 4 out of the 5 pros I know shoot Nikon, many of the pros I see covering events do.

Maybe they congregate in one area, maybe it's a fluke, but we're typically influenced strongly by what we observe and admire. If that is some famous photographer who has a Canon that weighs much more strongly than the opinion of some random amateur.

Ofcourse it also doesn't help that the vast majority of "professional" photographers are self absorbed arrogant f-wits and if they shoot Canon and see you with a Nikon they will treat you as a second class citizen not worth the time of the day. But really if you come to an online forum and talk to people who are genuinely interested in taking their hobby to the limits (us) who come from varied backgrounds and countries and ask this question you'll end up with the sane response: They are both the same, and if one happens to be ahead today, the other will be ahead tomorrow.

Thanks to your bloody signature I now have a thumbprint on a $1500 screen. :spank:

Nikon and Canon are pretty much equals...if something is lacking it is most likely coming from the person behind the camera. I don't mean that as an insult, it just takes a lot of time and practice to get the max out of these cameras. You have a nice camera.

Exactly.

Canon, Nikon, whatever. Talent is talent.

Thanks to your bloody signature I now have a thumbprint on a $1500 screen. :spank:

$£@#! That will teach you to reach for your macro lens next time rather than your thumb! ;)

Also - to the OP - there is often a lot of banter between Canon and Nikon - as well as with other DSLR makes like Olympus, Pentax and others. For most people its just the same old banter as PS3 vs Xbox or PC vs Mac. Its to be taken lightly with a pinch of salt most of the time - however sit people down for a serious discussion and there are often more sane thoughts made (and often the case that one tog simply does not know the other sides equipment range well enough to really give an accurate comparison)

Ok personally I am DIE HARD Canon.

However, having used every camera under the sun that I can get my hands on & owning camera's from $15-$3,000... I always say this...whatever feels right in your hand and makes the most sense to you... is the best choice for you.

For me the way Canon's are set up and how they work I far prefer to anything else.
But its not about me, its about you.

See if you can get your hands on a Canon to shoot with for a little while and you will know which one is right for you.

If you were to sell your D60 (that will not AF anything but AF-S/HSM type lenses), and upgrade your camera body even to a used D70, D70S, or D80 the cost difference wouldn't be that great (if anythng at all), you would then have a body that would AF with all the lenses you have, and you could put the rest of your funds into the very best quality glass you can afford.

Later when you have some more $$, move whatever camera you just bought to a backup body and get a used D90 when those prices drop some more.

Should be several more years until you would outgrow the capability of a D90 unless you chose to go full-frame.

Other than the AF issue with your D60, better glass will probably improve your shooting more than will changing camera bodies.

Just a suggestion, but that's what I would do if I were you...

Last edited:
Ok first off.... its CaNon.

That aside, if you were to upgrade to a Canon what body would you get? the D60 is a good body, but if your comparing your D60 to something like a 40D or 7D well y obviously the canon will look better haha

Most reactions

Back