Should I upgrade my camera body or invest in glass?

I walked away from my Nikon DSLR system because I wanted something smaller and lighter.

Unfortunately for you, mirrorless doesnt change a single law of physics. Thus the only way you can get a smaller camera is by accepting a smaller sensor as well. Only then the camera plus lens can be shorter than before.

Why unfortunately for me? I have smaller and lighter with outstanding image quality with the same sensor size I had before. You have your priorities. I have mine.
.381 lbs lighter A7ii compared to 5d IV body only... It's not a big difference in weight between any of the top end cameras. Once you put a lens on size is almost no different either

I agree with what others have said here.. No one has mentioned where to go for insurance. I use Hill and Usher Package choice. It's about $600 a year for gear coverage and 1m in liability along with other perks(like a T-Shirt that says "protographer" :bouncingsmileys:. The underwriter is The Hartford... Hope that helps

].381 lbs lighter A7ii compared to 5d IV body only... It's not a big difference in weight between any of the top end cameras. Once you put a lens on size is almost no different either

OK but that comparison doesn't apply to me. I use Fujifilm cameras and lenses. They are quite noticeably smaller and lighter than what I used before. The Sony A7 doesn't make much sense to me. If you want a camera that big and heavy you might as well use a DSLR.

I would invest in glass first, imo. When I was first starting I used my Rebel until I knew all the settings and I stretched the capabilities of that camera to the limit. I invested in good glass. When the year came that I finally did get a full frame, I had good glass to go with it already. Good glass will get you a nice solid F number that doesn't fluctuate, and nice sharp pictures... but ify glass can only go so far no in many cases, matter what body you have, imo.

OK but that comparison doesn't apply to me. I use Fujifilm cameras and lenses. [...]
Fujifilm X is indeed a great young system, BUT:

1. I cant handle these tiny cameras. Too small for my above average large hands to hold comfortably, let alone operate them comfortably.

2. I can get as good or better glas cheaper for Nikon. Granted you have to find out which they are (*)

3. I like the advantages of Nikon - like excellent high ISO abilities, or their flash system.

Also yes, for getting all out of Nikon, you need full frame. Otherwise all these great lenses you can get will be cropped.

(*): Hint: Usually (sadly) not the newest stuff. Those are mostly to keep the audience entertained. Try for example those lenses they produce since 20, 30+ years ... for a reason. Theres of course also pearls they didnt produce for too long, though. The majority of the lenses I use daily are Zeiss/Voigtländer or decades old Nikkor.

If you want a camera that big and heavy you might as well use a DSLR.
See ? Sensor size determines size of camera + lens - well at least the length, a DSLR has a pentaprism above and an AF sensor assembly below the mirrorbox, so yeah they are a bit higher and heavier.

The other reason however why Fujifilm is so much more lightweight than APS-C DLSRs is simply that all APS-C DSLRs are crop cameras - their mirror box has to be larger because the original format of that system is full frame aka small format.

Fujifilm X however is native APS-C. That means 24x16mm is NOT a crop sensor when using Fujifilm X, but its the full frame of that system. That means everything is only as large as it has to be, and not one bit larger.

Thank you all for the quick responses. Yes, I didn't release all the information at first. I'm currently enrolled in a couple photography classes. Trying to learn and gain every bit of knowledge I can before officially moving forward. I'm just reaching out for guidance I can use full frame glass on crop bodies correct? I initially wanted Nikon,but when I got the canon it was just the better deal. I've been looking at both companies. I've also tested a couple of Sony's A7 series. What is you all's take on mirrorless?

mirrorless is ........... now and the future
seriously, mirrorless cameras offers everything the old DSLR offered and can easily use DSLR lens
there is no reason to buy a camera with mirrors
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Most reactions

Back