Should I use a monopod?

redtippmann

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi everyone!
I am shooting two of my friends graduation pictures(they already had them done professionally but they think I would be cool if I did them also) and we were going to the local beech for the location. I was looking around and I see allot of people shooting with mono pods on, I would be using a 55-200mm so it would be bigger than a kit lens. But do you guys think that would seem like I just want to show off or is it good practice?

BTW: I use a tripod with only one leg extended, if that makes any difference?
PSS: I would also have a external strobe unit.

Last edited:
I think you would be fine w/o the monopod since the lens is not that heavy, I bearly use one with my 70-200 F/2.8 IS and after shooting for two hours with it your arm actually hurts lol (yes I tested that :p). Unles you will have little light or very shaky hands I would lose the monopod.

Thanks. I just never had a prolonged use with the ammoumt of equipment that I will have on my camera. Just got the 55-200 works great so far and the VR should help.

A monopod is another tool in your kit.... a valuable tool IMO espcially with the honkers (70-200 and so on...)

I have a Manfrotto Neotech (???) that has a pnuematic action.... one handed. It's great! I use it as much, if not more than my tripod.

VR + daylight + a light lens = monopod is showing off.

You don't need it. The 55-200 VR is very easy to use handheld. I get steady shots using 1/30 @ 200mm with VR.

VR + daylight + a light lens = monopod is showing off.

You don't need it. The 55-200 VR is very easy to use handheld. I get steady shots using 1/30 @ 200mm with VR.

Can you just explain how it would be 'showing off'? I saw a guy at the zoo with a monopod, and I thought he looked like an old man with a fancy cane! lol

So i just did a college graduation for my brother... the mono-pod was very useful for me

I was using a canon xsi, w/ the 70-200 f2.8 non-IS

The graduation was in 2 parts
Part 1 - school wide graduation - outdoors
mostly just the guest speaker, all graduates were facing to stage
I'm not sure how large your friends school is, keep in mind that college (if that is what you are doing) graduations are very large

Part 2 - departmental graduation - outdoors - under huge tent
So here is where all the graduates walked up got their diplomas
So even though it was outdoors, it was under a tent, so there wasnt that much light, I was at f 3.2 and 1/200, which is slighly slower than what i wanted at 200mm w/ a crop camera, so the monopod helped alot there

tip: try practice shots of random ppl that are walking up before your friends, so make sure things will work out

Most reactions

Back