Should I use Adobe RGB?

Senor Hound

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
If I'm taking shots, and taking them to the local drug store to get them processed, would I get more accurate color by using Adobe? I do use Photoshop, but I make my alterations as minimal as possible.

As I understand it, Adobe more accurately reflects the color that an average printer can print out, so my photos would be more accurate of a representation than sRGB. Am I understanding this correctly?

The best answer is ask the place that's printing what colorspace they expect. If they use sRGB and you use adobe, it's not going to look right.

The best answer is ask the place that's printing what colorspace they expect. If they use sRGB and you use adobe, it's not going to look right.

And if they look at you and don't know what you're talking about, go with sRGB?

I seriously use the machines there at Walgreens. I know I can get better quality through other places, but the convenience outweighs the lack of quality, imo. I'm gonna assume they're sRGB?

Just to complicate the issue...
In all likelyhood, any profile you submit (in rgb format) will be converted to CYMK for print...
So yeah - consult the printing lab...
Jedo

Just to complicate the issue...
In all likelyhood, any profile you submit (in rgb format) will be converted to CYMK for print...
So yeah - consult the printing lab...
Jedo

If the lab is printing onto light-sensitive photo paper with RGB light sources (LEDs or lasers) then it will stay in RGB. This is the usual way that most labs print - especially those at the local drug store. Most inkjet printers behave as, and are calibrated as if they were RGB devices rather than CMYK devices - ie they are profiled as RGB devices and files should be submitted in an RGB space, as specified by the lab.

Best,
Helen

Most reactions

New Topics

Back