Should I use Professional B&W or C41 B&W?

Pkboi24

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I just finished shooting my first roll of Tmax black and white film. However, sadly, when I took it to CVS (a walgreens type of store) they told me that they could only process C41. I was just wondering:

Is true black and white film significantly better than the C41 type?

I'm just doing this as a hobby, so if the difference isn't noticeable on a 4X6 I wouldn't mind switching just for the convenience. Not to mention camera stores charge ridiculous prices for developing black and white film.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

--Peter

The biggest difference is the ability to alter exposure and development with traditional BW films, but you need to either be developing it yourself, or go to a pro lab. If you aren't going to do this, then C41 BW should do you just fine. Many pros use the C41 BW film.

I'm guessing you won't notice anything unless you enlarge more than 8*10.

C41 BW film is for developing in the color machine.
"usual" BW film is for mixing chemicals yourself.

From my experiences, C41 bw film has poor contrast. It all depends on how you want your image to look. I've heard bw film has more detail, and has a wider contrast range, but if you want to truly take a hold of that, you will have to go to a pro lab or develop yourself.

For someone just wanting to shoot B&W. The C41 is fine. The contrast, as stated, is on the low side, but if you where to get into it and either print these yourself or have a pro do it, that contrast issue can be overcome in the darkroom. The mini lab prints may have a weird toned color to them if they have not done much of them before, but on the other hand, you may like that look. I would stick with the C41 for now.

Most reactions

Back