should we post copyright signatures on the pics when we post

Discussion in 'General Gallery' started by dstealthtt, Dec 29, 2003.

1. dstealthtt

dstealthtt TPF Noob!

Just curious if we plan on posting some of our best work if we should type in copyright signatures or something on the pics before posting- or if it doesn't matter

2. Tyjax

Tyjax TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    With the new copyright laws its not really necessary. Some people are paranoid and do it anyway. Usually it really detracts from the ability of others to critique the pic. On an UBER friendly and respectful site such as this it really is un-necessary. These are the friendliest, helpfulest, most decent people you will encounter on the web. This is NOT photsig or PopPhoto so dont expect those kinds of people. That being said. Post in confidence and welcome.

3. Avenellphotos

Avenellphotos TPF Noob!

I only do cos of having pics taken & used in the past. On the other had if people do download them from my for them selfs at least i get some advertisment :D

4. BMW-M6

BMW-M6 TPF Noob!

I do it, cuz my pics can be seen on other websites as well.

It's just easier to use the same link over and over again
    than upload them without the copyright line for this website
    seperately.

:)

5. Dew

Dew TPF Noob!

i use too in the past, havent in a few months ... i've also uploaded high res images to servers to give away for free ... now, just cause someone downloads your photo, doesnt mean they have copyright

if someone "steals" my photo, actually .. i would be quite flattered that they would go through the trouble :lol: ... however, i "give" quite a few of my photos away (allow many to use them for their website, publish, etc) ... but i have never transferred the copyright to anyone.

the way i see it, its like spreading a seed .. if your photos are out there all over the world enough, someone is gonna start asking questions .. "who took that photograph?" .... i wanna spread my joy :D

now if someone uses my photo and claim it to be their own (they claim to have taken the photograph) ... that would drive me mad and if i find out, i would take them to court over the principle :x

6. Geronimo

Geronimo TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think the best thing to do is to embed your copyright into the exif data or another electronic mark. A visual copyright is easy to get around if someone really wanted to rip your photo. seems alot of people miss the embedded data.

While I agree that the registered users on this site are friendly and I dont have a problem posting pictures for them to see, it is the unregistered visitors to this site that worry me if I had any worries. I dont remember if chase had turned off viewable posted images for guests or not.

7. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think that visible copyright info (or even artist info) in the image frame detracts horribly from the image, but I can totally understand why folks do it.