shouldn't I see the f-stops?

Early --

I just read the manual and it says that the aperture won't close until the shutter is released or if the AE lock pin is down when the shutter button is halfway down.

My FD mount lenses (same as for the AE-1) behave like yours. The aperture blades close down part way when I remove the lens from the body, then do not move as I adjust the aperture ring. Moving the long lever does not move the aperture blades when the lens is off the camera, no matter what the aperture ring is set to.

The aperture operates correctly when the lens is mounted to the camera: it closes when a picture is taken and it closes when the DoF preview button is pressed.

When off the camera my Canon lenses behave differently from my Nikon and Leica lenses as far as aperture operation goes.

If the aperture closes down when you take a picture or when you operate the DoF preview button (if the lens is not set wide open) then you don't have a problem.

Good luck,
Helen

Thanks, that really helped.

My FD mount lenses (same as for the AE-1) behave like yours. The aperture blades close down part way when I remove the lens from the body, then do not move as I adjust the aperture ring. Moving the long lever does not move the aperture blades when the lens is off the camera, no matter what the aperture ring is set to.

The aperture operates correctly when the lens is mounted to the camera: it closes when a picture is taken and it closes when the DoF preview button is pressed.

When off the camera my Canon lenses behave differently from my Nikon and Leica lenses as far as aperture operation goes.

If the aperture closes down when you take a picture or when you operate the DoF preview button (if the lens is not set wide open) then you don't have a problem.

Good luck,
Helen
There ya go! The old adage: "You're never too old to learn":er: I should have known that since I did have an AE-1 pass through my hands once.

alright, problem -- I don't think I have the FD lens.

here's a picture of the camera and lens (it's a zoom lens);

SLR001.jpg

here's the bottom of the lens with the f-stop wheel... I can move it all I want, it's not stuck, but I never see the aperture diaphragm move;

lens001.jpg

another of the lens (under the f-stop wheel there is just black space -- nowhere for an aperture curtain);

lens002.jpg

here's the lever that moves when I move the wheel, no problem there;

lens007.jpg

here's the camera;

lens009.jpg

and here's where the lever in inserted to;

lens012.jpg

why dont you put a film in it and shoot some pics of the same object with different f-stops and see if the DOF changes. Here you can have a film developt in 1 hour. Will cost you a few bucks, but are sure if it works or not.

why dont you put a film in it and shoot some pics of the same object with different f-stops and see if the DOF changes. Here you can have a film developt in 1 hour. Will cost you a few bucks, but are sure if it works or not.

actually, I already took some pics and I'm getting them developed in five minutes, ahaha.

I'll see how they come out.

Itsa Breach lock mount...

The lens operates a full wide aperture for easy focusing. There is a lever that moves and "tells" the body the current aperture the lens is set. The aperture diaphragm will close and reopen automatically on shutter trip.

hehehel lol .. The AE-1 isn't THAT old... we are talking late 70s (and early 80s for your "program"). I'm not even in my 40s yet and reading through this thread made me feel "old". Its a good camera and nice to use if it doesn't suffer from the infamous Canon A series "squeel"

:eek:ldman:

btw.. I see in the picture that the camera includes that removable plastic grip thingy. DON"T LOOSE it... in many cases that one bit of plastic is worth more than the camera. So many people loose them over the years and they are forever looking for a replacement. I took it off and kept it when I sold one of my AE-1s a few years ago.

The people who posted saying that the aperture should be full open until the shutter or dof preview are depressed are right. My dad's Canon AE-II is the same way with both Canon and 3rd party lenses.

My problem is that when I took the lens off and adjusted the f-stops, I couldn't see the hole widen or become smaller. When I look through the lens and adjust the f-stops, it looks like it just stays on the maximum aperture. Is it supposed to be like that??

Do you know, that the person who originally theorized what an atom look like actually he never saw what an atom look like? He only calculating it by whatever method he used to measure what an atom look like.

I believe an experieced photographer can calculated what aperture was originally used by looking at the unknown picture.

Also, when a photographer took the shot the result may reveal his/her inner feeling - innocently of course.

You have awesome dof in a lot of those shots so I'm pretty sure everything is working fine. I miss film now :(

If you haven't figured it out yet, try this: Stop the lens down to minimum aperture. F32? Then switch the camera to manual mode with the shutter speed set to bulb. Open the back and release the shutter. While looking through the open shutter curtains, you should see the lens close almost all the way down. If not, you have a problem.

Most reactions

Back