Show Me How to....

Discussion in 'General Gallery' started by canonrebel, Jun 26, 2004.

1. canonrebel

canonrebel TPF Noob!

Please show me how you would crop this snapshot.........

I know there is a photo lurking in this snapshot, trouble for me is I can't decide on a composition. I'm having trouble defining a focal point.

Please give me your opinions on how to crop this snapshot for best composition. There are some of you that are wizards at composition and I'm asking for your help.

It hasn't yet been manipulated.
    Thanks
    [​IMG]

the Rebel

2. photobug

photobug TPF Noob!

Well, this is all I could come up with:

[​IMG]

3. canonrebel

canonrebel TPF Noob!

photobug, thanks. I'm really appreciating your help.

I know I'm asking a lot, but could you try once more and keep in mind that I'm looking for an 8x10 ratio perspective. I forgot to mention the ratio perspective, sorry.

I can see at least one possibility in your crop. What do you think about the right half of your present selection? Would that work for a second possibility?

Reb

4. photobug

photobug TPF Noob!

Yeah, that'd work. That would give you the tree in the mid ground, and a couple different looking trees in the background and leave you some sky to mess with.

Something like this:

[​IMG]

5. canonrebel

canonrebel TPF Noob!

Great suggestion! That tree on the left that stands out in front of the green trees could be used as a focal point and placed in one of the 3rd quadrants, huh? wait! that tree is good right where it is, you've already placed it in the quatrant.

I doubt if anyone can find a better crop than this, especially considering the lack of something better to work with.

Thanks

reb

6. Jeff Canes

Jeff Canes No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Cropped out the foreground because I found beach/landing area on the left to be unattractive, also rotated 1 deg clockwise
    [​IMG]

7. pilgrim

pilgrim TPF Noob!

I found that there was just too many things just poking into the picture. Like the trees on each side, and the clump of grass on the bottom. I think I cheated because I had to do two little cloning jobs.. :wink:
    And I'm sure if I had the original sized picture to crop the image would come out at a decent size rather then so small..

[​IMG]

*edit* looking over the picture again I think I went a little overboard :lol:
    my vote goes for mr. canes remake.

8. pigpen

pigpen TPF Noob!

Photobug's is great!!!!!

9. havoc

havoc Jedi something or other

There are alot of ways to crop this photo. My train of thought has always been to identify the main focus and get in as tight as i think i need. Then crop even tighter. Complexity can be very distracting in a photo, if you make it simple it will be more successful. (This of course is a general guidline not set in stone truth)

I had a couple of crops i liked for your pic. The first is myfavorite because to me it is whats really importantin the photo. That would be the near far relationdhip of the banks, and the reflection in the water.[​IMG]
    The sky and everything else i think detracts from the photo, if it were a sunny day with some interesting clouds, i wouls have prolly left the sky in.
    And since the hanging trees on the sides bother me alittle i thought it best to crop them out while trying to get the most of the water in there i can.

Here are some other more traditional crops though:
    [​IMG]
    I like this one as well, it included the one tree in the background that is interesting.

[​IMG]
    This one isn't bad either, thought i think there is too much of the ininteresting sky. Using the trees in the sides to frame the image is a common practice and isn't unappealing.

Anyways those are my thoughts.

10. havoc

havoc Jedi something or other

Damn, i guess Snap fish has stopped allowing direct linking... :(

11. P Bailey

P Bailey TPF Noob!

[​IMG]
    Maybe something like this...

12. bogleric

bogleric TPF Noob!

as always photobug's rules.