Show you all the beauty that is Alberta

SunnyDelight

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Took some pix at the Badlands in Drumheller when I went there couple weeks ago. Great trip and great place. :D

Badlands4.jpg

Badlands3.jpg

Badlands2.jpg

It was quite a hike :) The museum is great too in case anyone is heading to Alberta anytime soon :)

I love that area. :thumbsup:

Did you travel far to get there?

Go Oilers Go :)

wait... nice pictures too, makes me think of Yukon or something like that.

SunnyDelight said:
ACK AN OILERS FAN!!! BACK BACK VILE CREATURE!! lol I live in Calgary :)

Calgary? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not only am I an Oiler's fan...I'm a season ticket holder.

Pete,
Yes, that's rock. It's in an area that is called 'The Bad Lands'. Most or all of the areas that look like that, are in the valley of a prehistoric river. You can see all the layers that were once the different beds & levels of the river. The shapes it now forms...we call Hoodoos (I don't know the scientific name).

I guess you could call it, Alberta's Grand Canyon. The Museum that Sunny mentioned is the Royal Tyrell Museum...which is filled with Dinosaur bones...which are found all over in the Bad Lands.

Here are a few of my shots from around there (sorry to hi-jack)
Trochu-06.jpg

Trochu-10.jpg

We should have a TFP meet-up in this area, sometime in the summer.

Thanks, Mike. The color is amazing. I wonder what caused such a distinct color for each of the strata. Climate allowing different types of vegetation? Maybe just whatever washed down stream?

It really is quite amazing...I often wonder what caused the different layers. It's like a living, natural history book...if you know how to read it.

These look really interesting! All do. Both the ones that started the thread (in their colour!) and those that "hijack" the thread :)greenpbl: BigMike) ... and an interesting story to go with this area!!!

Nice shots of an amazing area. Drumheller is located in the Red Deer river valley, and is a veritable treasure house of fossils. A lot of the fossils in The Natural history Museum in London, came from there.
The majority of the rock is limestone,which erodes by the action of wind and water to create the sureal looking hoodos.

Oh and a message to Mike,,,
GO FLAMES,,,!!!lol

go flames go :) Yeah i don't have a program to play around with pics to make them black and white and such. in fact, i hardly know anything about photography at all :) i think i just get lucky sometimes, and my camera isnt top-of-the-line. :) just a powershot a540. but it serves it's purpose :)

for big mike:

Museum26.jpg

Museum25.jpg

This place reminds me of around southeastern Death Valley, except more colorful.

great shots by everyone

and talking about ice hockey.... Bee's r good Bee's r good the Bracknell Bee's r good!

ok ok its a british team but two of the team have now learnt how to skate

Most reactions

New Topics

Back