Shutter Life??? XT

keith204

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, I think I'm at about 15,000 clicks on my XT. It's working fine, I'm just curious about some things.

1) What causes a shutter to go bad?
2) If excessive dust gets in to the camera, does the shutter wear out quicker?
3) What's the expected life on my shutter? I have seen a few numbers posted
4) Once a shutter dies, what's it cost to get it fixed?
5) Once a shutter is fixed, does it have another X0,000 clicks like new?

1) What causes a shutter to go bad?
It's a mechanical device, there are a few things that could wear out. It has lubrication, which could dry up or become less effective over time. Then the parts that are lubricated could become worn out. Also, there is a spring of some sort (I believe), which could also become worn or loose it's spring. The actual curtains shouldn't wear out (I don't think) but they are pretty delicate and may be susceptible to damage.
Also, there may be pads or bumpers that might wear out. The original Canon EOS film camera, the EOS 650, had a problem in that the shutter bumpers were made of foam that eventually broke down and turned to goo. The goo would get onto the shutter and cause problems. I have one of these and I cleaned the goo off with lighter fluid. Canon learned their lesson and now use something more stable.
2) If excessive dust gets in to the camera, does the shutter wear out quicker?
I would think that 'excessive' dust would affect the lubrication and possibly the curtains...but what is 'excessive'?
3) What's the expected life on my shutter? I have seen a few numbers posted
I don't know. It's not a widely published number but I'm sure it's out there somewhere. Google is your friend.
4) Once a shutter dies, what's it cost to get it fixed?
I'm not sure, maybe a couple hundred dollars...parts and labor. Call Canon and ask them.
5) Once a shutter is fixed, does it have another X0,000 clicks like new?
I would think so, yes.

You can also service your camera with a CLA (clean, lube & adjust). Call your local camera shop or better yet, a Canon service centre.

Most reactions

Back