Shutter Problems!! Please Help!

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by rvaphotographer, Dec 14, 2009.

1. rvaphotographer

rvaphotographer TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hey I'm new to the forums. I have a Nikon D40X. I've been having trouble focusing for the last few months. I thought I just needed to get my shutter release button cleaned, but now I think it's a problem with the shutter curtain. When I take photos the top half of the photo is black. Anyone know what's causing this/is it expensive to fix or can I fix it myself??

2. chip

chip TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I wouldn't mess with it myself. It isn't easy to fix unless you know what you are doing! I would send it back to Nikon if it is still under warranty. If you, maybe ask for a quote and see how much it costs to get it fixed. If it is more than the camera is worth, just use it for parts.

3. IgsEMT

IgsEMT No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    What's your shutter speed? are you using a flash. IF shooting at something of 1/400sec with flash indoors, it'll make sense. I think this video explains it well
    You can/should also contact Nikon in regards 1-800-645-6678 (main #) and if you are around NY area, 631-439-2670.
    Good Luck

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2014
  4. rvaphotographer

rvaphotographer TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    It definitely isn't a problem with the flash. I messed with that as soon as it started to happen. I'm pretty positive my shutter is broken. Every time I press the shutter button the screen reads error: press shutter release button again. I just don't know how it broke. Thanks for the help though.

I'm definitely calling Nikon though. And I'm gonna have to get a quote because it isn't under warranty any more. =[

5. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    The average expected shutter life on a D40 is about 50,000 clicks. Some fail sooner, some fail later. The D40's not listed but you can look at the D50 numbers: Camera Shutter Life Database

Shutter replacement will run you about $250/$300 including insured shipping to/from Nikon. Since the warranty has expired, there are several Nikon approved independent repair shops, which means Nikon will sell them replacement parts. Nikon Authorized Repair List