Shutter release cables, lens hoods, etc questions

florenceinitaly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Can someone explain why this is necessary when you an just set the self timer on the dslr to 2 seconds, press the shutter and remove your hand from the camera?

Also, what is the purpose of using a lens hood? One came with my 55-200mm lens. I noticed there are different shapes (petal shaped, tube shaped) lens hood too, is one type better than the other?

And also, when buying filters (ie. UV filters, circular polarizers, etc), does it matter the brand of the filter compared to a "no name" one? Obviously there is a big price difference, but is there also a big difference in quality of the glass too?

Shutter release cables allow you do bulb exposures which your method of setting the timer will not. Also, shutter release cables allow you to react to the moment. When the subject hits a moment you want to capture, you can hit the shutter release as opposed to waiting two seconds for the timer to fire.

Lens hoods help to prevent stray light from striking the lens and causing a flare. The petal shaped hoods help to prevent unwanted vignetting by having the lens hood be visible in the corners of the frame. It depends on the construction of the lens and the focal length as to whether a petal shaped hood is necessary or if a round one will suffice.

I'll let someone with more filter experience answer that one.

2sec timer is used when you want to take a photo at a very low shutter speed. As you will remove your hand from the camera, it will not introduce any movement to the camera by your body.
I use that often when shooting Macro photography with a tripod mounted camera ... shutter speeds over 1s.

Pugs explained the hood. Circular hoods will be bigger/wider to make sure they do not cut off light at the corners. Petal hoods are smaller but they sacrifice blocking light in each corner.

In most cases, higher priced filters use ... better glass material, better manufacturing and, better coatings ... all this will increase performance.

A remote shutter release is always a nice accessory to have in your bag.

Typically, zoom lenses will have the petal shaped hood and primes will have a solid hood. I always use the hood.

There are two camps on the use of UV filters. I reside in the camp that doesn't use them for protection.... because I always use the lens hood and common sense on handling my gear. Better filters cost more. Read this article by Thom Hogan. A Circular Polarizer and Neutral Density filter are good to have in your bag. Don't cheap out on them. Quality filters can be had by B+W, Singh-Ray, Hoya and Tiffen to name a few. Multi-coated is preferable.... essential IMO.

Can someone explain why this is necessary when you an just set the self timer on the dslr to 2 seconds, press the shutter and remove your hand from the camera?

With a release cable, or wireless, you not only release the camera without vibration you also release the camera exactly when you want to.

Also, what is the purpose of using a lens hood?
It serves exactly the same purpose as the visor on a hat. It shades the lens from light outside of the image area that can cause flare.

And also, when buying filters (ie. UV filters, circular polarizers, etc), does it matter the brand of the filter compared to a "no name" one?

The difference can be massive.

hmm interesting, thanks for the input.

About the filters, I've been looking to be a ND or a circular polarizer for a while now...given what's been said it looks like there is a reason to stick with the brand name ones lol.

Also, I have seen these "remote control" for the camera instead of a cable - how do I know if my camera has the ability for the remote control? I have a sony a500.

Most reactions

Back