shutter speed and lens question

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by mkedre, Jun 24, 2004.

1. mkedre

mkedre TPF Noob!

I'm looking at a camera that says "selectable shutter speeds ranging from B-1000". What does that mean? Also, what is a 55mm telephoto lens and a 52mm lens good for? I have not used anything but a 35mm point and shoot and a digital.

2. MDowdey

MDowdey Guest

b is a term commonly referred to as "bulb". it means that you have the ability to open the shutter for whatever time you want, i.e. starry nights, blurred car lights...things like that...and the quickest it goes up to is 1/1000th of a second. which by the way doesnt seem that fast...

md

3. tr0gd0o0r

tr0gd0o0r TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    It really isn't all that fast, but its fast enough, unless you're trying to shoot something that moves extremely quickly. And its not that uncommon as a highest shutter speed, especially on consumer slrs.

4. Mitica100

Mitica100 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Let me add my two cents here...

As MD pointed out, B stands for Bulb, meaning the shutter will stay open as long as you keep it pressed down, in other words only one long shutter click. Older cameras have a T settting, where you could leave the camera's shutter open with one click of the shutter release and close it with another one. There are speeds in between B and 1000:

1-one second
    2-half a second
    4-quarter of a second
    8-eight of a second
    15-fifteenth of a second

...and so on, up to 1000th of a second. Some newer cameras go up to 2000th or even 4000th of a second.

In regards to 55mm and 52mm lenses... Hmm... Although I know of 55mm lenses, they are not called Tele lenses in 35mm. And I haven't heard of a 52mm lens yet. What you're probably looking at is the diameter of the lens, 52mm being fairly common. Can you tell us the exact data on the above, as to the maker and so on? That way we'll be able to dig further for info.

5. mkedre

mkedre TPF Noob!

These lenses were listed in an e-bay auction. All it says is "52mm lens w/ UV protector" and "55mm telephoto lenes w/ UV protector". That's all the info I have. ???

6. Mitica100

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Can you link us to this auction's site?

I still fail to recall any 52mm lens ever made. Anyone else know of such thing?

I think the seller actually looked at one of the inner rings of each lens, where they give its diameter in mm. The more common diameters are:

49mm
    52mm
    55mm
    58mm
    62mm
    67mm
    72mm
    77mm

:)

7. mkedre

mkedre TPF Noob!

8. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
    This is what I thought when I saw this post. I've seen a rare, older 55m lens occasionally, but a 52mm lens???

9. Mitica100

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yeah, very helpful. The seller did not know that actually he was selling a zoom lens, probably something like 70-210mm and a normal 50mm lens. I am very familiar with the Canon AE-1. since I have one.

In essence, my first assumption was correct. The seller thought that the lens diameter (written on the inner ring of the lens) is actually the focal length of it. Pretty common mistake.

Hope this clears the confusion about certain focal lenghts. :lol: