Shutter speed/Iso question.

Corb3t

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I read an article that said "set your shutter speed to be as close to the ISO setting as possible" thats all the info it gave about that.

Can anyone explain this further? Right now my shutter speed is on 1/1000 and my ISO is 64.

Thanks

You're settings will change all the time depending on the situation of the picture you're taking. You generally want a low iso, however if you want a faster shutterspeed, you'll need a higher iso.
iso refers to the sensitivity of the sensor (or something along those lines) so the lower the number is means you'll need a slower shutterspeed to compensate, or a bigger aperture.

So I suppose that "set your shutter speed to be as close to the ISO setting as possible" is true, since if the iso is higher, it will be more sensitive, so you'll have a faster shutter, but keep in mind the higher iso will give you noise.

I read an article that said "set your shutter speed to be as close to the ISO setting as possible" thats all the info it gave about that.

That dos NOT make sense. If you set your ISO and your aperture, the shutter speed will depend on the amount of light in the scene you are photographing. Therefore, the shutter speed can be very close to or very far from the ISO setting and it does NOT matter.

Take some time to do a bit of research to understand ISO, shutter speed and aperture and how they interact together to get you to a correct exposure. You will then understand that the statement above does not make sense.

You are quoting part of the sunny 16 rule. You're missing some key information though.

On a bright sunny day, you exposure is f/16, and your shutter speed is 1/ISO. For ISO 100, this would be 1/125.

In your case, f/16, ISO 64, and 1/60.

My Kodak P&S's highest f/stop is 8.0, can you give me a example relative to that?

Right now my settings are f/5.8 1/1000 ISO 800

Matt's got it. Sunny 16 rule is if your subject is in bright sun with no shade expose your subject at f/16 and a shutter speed that is the film's key stop. The film's key stop is the shutter speed that is closest to your film's ISO rating. ISO400 = 1/500. ISO50 = 1/60. ISO1600 = 1/1000 and close down one stop of aperture. For subjects under a cloudy sky, f/11. Overcast skies or open shade, f/8. Dense shade, f/5.6. All keeping your shutter speed as close as possible to the film's key stop.

CAVEAT. This is guesswork and if you are trying to do fine work, you should instead rely on a light meter. But in a pinch (forget your meter, batteries die) this will get you close. Not spot on but it can prevent losing a great shot.

If you really want to understand the relationship between Iso, shutter speed and aperture, get a copy of "Understanding Exposure". It was written for film photography, but the principles are the same for digital.

ISO 800's key stop would round up to 1/1000th of a second shutter speed. f/16 at that would give you a plain-jane average exposure on a fully sunlit scene/subject. f/11 for slightly hazy or reduced ambient light. f/8 for open shade. f/5.6 for severe overcast. f/4 for near sunrise/sunset. f/2.8 for at or just before sunrise: at or just after sunset. f/2 for pre dawn or dusk. THIS IS JUST GUESSWORK. Best to keep that meter handy and the batteries fresh, but as I said earlier, this'll do in a pinch. Good luck.

Most reactions

Back