Shutter Speed Rules

With regard to camera shake, keep the shutter speed at least 1/focal length.
If you are shooting say a 300mm lens you want a shutter speed of at least 1/300th of a second. Some can hand hold slower and some will need a faster shutter to get sharp results. Is that was you are after?

With a monopod you eliminate up & down movement, but not side to side, so I'd personally stick with the rules for handholding, though a monopod should help. As dsp said, it really just depends on the person - I suck at handholding, so I always use a tripod if possible.

I'd agree with niccig, a monopod will help, but it will vary from person to person, quality of monopod, etc. Best to experiment a little, it should buy you a little, but I can't say how much.

Also, I have seen many people recommend that this rule should take into account the crop factor of many digital SLR cameras. For example, the crop factor on a Canon 20D/Rebel is 1.6...so following that...at 300mm you will want a shutter speed at least 1/480 (1/500).

I'm not sure I agree with the logic about using the crop factor...but a faster shutter speed will always be better for sharper hand held shots.

Darn, I was hoping a monopod would help more than that.

Are there some really lightweight tripods you can recommend? Ones that are also easy/quick to setup and adjust?

I want to be able to take photographs at 300mm while hiking. I was going to get a monopod walking stick, but if it doesn't help much then maybe not? Maybe I have to suck it up and carry a lightweight tripod?

A monopod will probably help a lot compared to shooting hand held...but good shooting techniques will help as well. A good posture, keeping your elbow tucked in...leaning on something etc...will all help.

There are plenty of light tripods...not real sturdy (unless you spring for a carbon fibre $$$). But less sturdy is better than no tripod at all.

McBain has some used gear spread out around their stores. Prices are a bit high. Classic Camera Exchange is on 118 ave and about 126 street. Wally has lots of stuff but his prices are often a little high.

There is Vintage Visuals is Calgary along with Vistek Camera and The Camera Store.

I've found that the used camera market around here is not on par with the prices you can find on E-bay. Also, every year there is a photo-fair...it's kind of like a swap meet...held at the Ramada on Kingsway. The trouble with all these used stores and swap meets...is that most of the stuff is just too old and not that useful for newer cameras....especially newer Canon, which I have.

I think I will try a monopod the next trip I do that I will be hiking. In the meantime I should probably pick up a tripod. Any recommendations, new or used?

For lenses, I have checked out all those used and new stores, I have found the prices to be high enough that I would rather just purchase something brand new, for the most part.

The exception is some REALLY old stuff because Nikon mount goes back further than the Canon.

I will have to take another trip to Classic to see if they have any reasonable macro lenses, or primes.

Getting the right tripod depends on a few things.

For example, I have two big tripods. One is a cheaper one with thin aluminium legs and a built-in plastic head. It's kind of flimsy but it gets the job done...and has for several years. It's light and easy to take hiking.

I also have a set of Manfrotto Professional legs, which are heavy but very solid. I have a heavy metal ball head for this one. I like using this one more than the cheaper one...but it gets heavy.

At first, I suggest getting a cheap or mid level tripod that isn't too heavy. If it's too heavy, you will leave it behind and then it's no use at all. If you find that it's too flimsy for you...then you can think about a better one.

I got my tripod for about $80 new, its by no means a professinal tripod but it does the job weighs about 13 pounds so it has some weight which is good and when fully closed its about 24 inches long I routinely take it into the woods and on hikes and it is fine. its probably similar to what Mike was talking about. Bottom line it gets the job done.

How do you carry the tripod on hikes, do you have a backpack for you gear, or a hip pack or something? 13 pounds sounds pretty heavy, I assume there are a lot lighter ones available?

My velbon tripod is maybe three pounds...if that. It's very light. It came with a padded tripod bag that I sling around my shoulder/chest.

My Manfrotto has an actual thread socket to hold a strap for carrying...but I don't have the plug so I just use the bag for either tripod. Alternatively, I've found that the sleeve type bags for those fold-up lawn chairs...will make good tripod bags.

Yet another option I have is my Lowpro camera bag/backpack. It has a fold down pouch and some elastic cord, which will hold a tripod on the outside of the pack.

Most reactions

Back