Side by side comparison site?

mrodgers

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
When I bought my Fuji 2650 back in 2002, I had found a site similar to DPreview.com that had the same comparison photos from all their reviewed cameras. You could pull up 2 different cameras, and compare photos of the same subject side by side in 2 separate browser frames. It is how I chose my Fuji back then. I compared photo shots and saw that the Fuji 2 mp took much better and more detailed photos than the majority of the 3 mp cameras out there.

Is there a comparison site like this out there? That was a long time ago, and with many PC's since then, my link to that particular site is long gone.

I can remember one particular sample shot was of a cream colored stone house with lots of multi colored flowers landscaped around it. It was a fantastic picture to compare side by side shots from different cameras.

Google searching has netted me nothing, other than side by side camera spec sites like DPreview.com.

Comparing cameras by looking at sample shots on the web is all but useless. Stick with the specs.

what's wrong with DPReview then?
The site I used pulled up a picture of the same subject with 2 different cameras. You could look at the exact same house/portrait/scene from each camera side by side in the same browser. AFAIK, DPreview only has sample galleries for reviewed cameras, but they are not the exact same photo subjects.

Big Mike said:
Comparing cameras by looking at sample shots on the web is all but useless. Stick with the specs.
I look at specs. A 7 mp camera is a 7 mp camera. The sensor means nothing to me as I don't know the difference between sensor manufacturers. Specs such as features is not what I'm looking for. I'm looking for what the photos actually look like.

I'll go by specs.... I have a 5 year old Fuji 2 mp that shoots only ISO 100, no manual settings, or any settings at all for that matter. The 5 year old Fuji takes far nicer pictures, far better focus, and far more fine detail than my new 7 mp Sony. If I go by specs, I'll have crappy pictures (which is the case, thus the Sony is going back).

Though, there is the point that any photos on the web could be retouched. I don't see that happening with a review site though. I could be wrong though. I allow myself to be wrong 3 times a year and I have 1 more before the end of 2007, hehehehe :D (J/K)

just because you buy a new camera doesn't mean that you be able to take outstanding pictures with it .'
you need to practice and learn all of the options that are on the new camera.
I have a sony 8mp cyber shot and I think its great for what it was meant to do.
just play around with it and get used to before taking it back?

just because you buy a new camera doesn't mean that you be able to take outstanding pictures with it .'
you need to practice and learn all of the options that are on the new camera.
I have a sony 8mp cyber shot and I think its great for what it was meant to do.
just play around with it and get used to before taking it back?

I agree...it has little to do with the camera, but more about the person working the camera and making the camera do what you want it to. With the point and shoot cameras you will be limited to the control that you have over the picture, but with the entry level DSLR's you have alot more artistic expression.

LOL

Werent you the one who said your 7 yr old daughters pictures (with the fuji) of the same subjects came out better than your own attempt with the new sony?

LOL

Werent you the one who said your 7 yr old daughters pictures (with the fuji) of the same subjects came out better than your own attempt with the new sony?

That was someone else (you are to say this even if it is not true... lol).

LOL

:mrgreen:

Just to note, I also took pictures with that Fuji (2 mp FinePix 2650, ISO 100 only and NO manual control) as well as with a Nikon CoolPix 880 3 mp. All of mine and my daughter's pictures on auto mode turn out perfectly fine and as sharp and nice as 5-7 year old digitals come out. The Nikon has full manual control, which I've been playing with. The Sony? Horrible on full auto mode, and very little controls elsewise. If it can't take good pictures on auto mode, it is useless for the wife to use.

It's gone anyways. I took it back and am now torn between the pocketability of the SD1000 and a Fuji S700 which I just picked up playing around in the stores. The Fuji nearly melted into my hands and I had a hard time putting it down. I don't know how well it shoots, but I really really liked the feel of it. I like the idea of a real full size camera (without the expense of the higher priced ones or DSLR), but I think the wife likes the idea of putting into your pocket/purse, which you certainly can't with the S700. I like the stabilization of holding a camera in your hand instead of with your fingertips, as well as holding it to your eye rather than it shaking around in extended arms and looking at an LCD. The wife would rather hold it out and shoot from the screen.

I also now need to know now if the S700 and the S5700 are the same camera. Everything I've read seems to point towards they are the same.

Just can't decide mainly on the "style" of camera. My budget is still $100, but I've been increasing and increasing. I certainly can't go above $200.

Hi; I guess this link will be usable for you to compare photos of different cameras. You choose two cameras and side by side compare them.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM
That's the exact site I was looking for!

Unfortunately, I've already bought and am happy with my purchase, but thanks for that link. It's bookmarked now.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/
This is another one that I was thinking of. Can't compare side by side, but his example pics are mostly all of the same subject.

Hopefully that link will help someone else out and I can now recommend it in the future as well since I have it bookmarked again.

Most reactions

Back