Side/hand strap?

Discussion in 'Canon Accessories' started by SuzukiGS750EZ, Oct 22, 2016.

1. SuzukiGS750EZ

SuzukiGS750EZ No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hey guys, I just got a battery grip for my Canon 80D and noticed it has a strap mount on it. Looks like it's in the perfect spot for a hand strap. Souths you recommend this over say a black rapid strap? And if so, what brand? Are there some that are multi use like say convert hand strap to neck strap?

2. table1349

table1349 Been spending a lot of time on here!

I've got a hand strap but don't use it much. Never seen one that converts to a neck strap. That would require too much strap to be convenient. Only time I use mine is when shooting certain events.

Found the one I have. OP/TECH USA Grip Strap 6701242 B&H Photo Video
    Comfortable to wear. I did modify it to accept an Arca-swiss plate to attach to the bottom of the camera so it is aways tripod ready.

3. bratkinson

bratkinson No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    When I first moved up to a DSLR, the used 30D I bought on ebay came with a grip and a Canon handstrap. With the EF-S 18-135 on the camera, it was as perfectly balanced as I've ever encountered starting with my first 35mm SLR about 1972 or so. So, as I upgraded first to a 60D and then a 5Diii, the handstrap is a requirement for me. The large majority of the time, that's all I use. I started with a now discontinued Canon hand strap and have transferred it from camera to camera.

I also set up my cameras with an Opt-Tech shoulder strap that I sometimes add...not for use as a shoulder strap but as a hand & wrist wrap that I manage to 'lock' in place with my little pinky and the camera cannot be pulled, dropped, or shaken out of my hand, even with palm open. For those times when I know I'll be carrying the camera for an extended period (city scapes, etc), it saves my hand from getting cramps trying to hang on to it all the time.

4. spiralout462

spiralout462 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    A hand strap seems like a real wrist breaker for me. I'll stick to slings.

5. table1349

table1349 Been spending a lot of time on here!

About the only time I use one is for event shoots. For me it can come in handy then.