Peanuts

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.brittanyesther.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey!

I don't if I was missed but for the last two weeks I have been cruising London, Spain, France, Andorra (if that counts) and primarily Sierra Leone.

Hopefully I didn't miss too many new happenings on TPF - it truly is amazing that it is possible to survive 16 days without more than 30 minutes of internet time. ;)

Anyways, thought I would share a few 'snaps' that I have quikcly removed from my batch of photos from Sierra Leone.

Feel free to critique :)

Please tell me if the images are too large and I will downsize them.

flickr_MG_3895cropTPF.jpg

2. When I was going to visit a school built by the organization I was travelling with, the students of the village were absolutely set on having their 'snaps' taken. Even when my camera was hanging down around my neck, I had students on their knees looking up at it - it was quite an experience!
flickr_MG_4107.jpg

3. This fellow stood out by not following the crowd ;) I have a picture taken probably less then 10 seconds after this where he is being practically smoothered by students.
flickr_MG_4055.jpg

4. Near the beginning, the students were listening to one of their teachers giving a lesson and the parents were standing behind them in the heat. As I was standing listening, I felt someone tugging at my shirt, to turn around and here was this lady posing nodding her head to have me take a picture. I should probably mention on this one, I have no idea what the glur around her right check is - I haven't done anything to the background.
flickr_MG_3949.jpg

5. After the lesson, some of the local women were dancing as everyone else looked on. Eventually the crowd just kept moving inwards until this poor fellow was looking quite uncomfortable as he was being pressed against the drummer (far right of the photo). In front of him is one of the purse of one of the dancers.
flickr_MG_4037bw.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Wow! (Yes, I noticed you were gone. :greenpbl:)

You captured some excellent emotion in these! The posing and composition are great. The only one that I question the composition is number 5, not sure if the purse in front is doing it for me. Love the detail of their skin and excellent lighting! :thumbup:

Welcome back!

Eric.

Thanks Eric! Good to know your opinion on the purse. Unfortunately without a description or accompanying images it is rather mundane, but those eyes are just too sweet to pass by :)

Here is another edited image. A girl by the name of Dinny (I believe it is pronounced that way, spelling is likely completely off the mark) enjoying some groundnut (peanut) stew with goat meat.

460630116_7b20a4f779_o.jpg

Oh I like that one too! :) You did a nice job with the conversion.

Wow! Wonderful shots!! The first one, and Dinny, are my faves. Can't wait to see what else you have once you got through all your pics!!

These are great

Thanks for the warm welcome back :) It truly was an amazing experience - for some reason the majority of us (myself included) assume that those who are less well of in poverty stricken countries are going to be some of the most unhappy souls - but oh how wrong! Honestly, the joy and hope that radiated from everyone was awe-inspiring. The sense of community was unparralled. I probably learnt more from this trip then I could from 5 months in a classroom.

Hopefully later this week I will have most of my images up on flickr and I will post a few of my faves.

All of these are wonderful! I look forward to seeing more from your adventure!

Hey Brittany, welcome back!
By the look of things, you have been away on the most awesome trip possible, but then you've been to South East Asia last year, too, haven't you?
The photos are very intense, all of them, and very well done... and though it might be considered a pity that dancer's purse came in front of the squeezed-in boy, I do agree that his eyes still carry a lot. He does look decidedly uncomfortable.

Nice to be having such willing models! I really like the photo of the lady who tugged on your sleeve and wished to get her photo taken. How does she get the print?

Before I hit the sack (12:30am now, whoops. Oh well, jet lag makes it feel more like 8:30 am!), I will quickly say another thank you, while I continue editing a few more ;).

Indeed I went to Thailand last year, that was an independent trip where I stayed at a lady from my church's orphanage (or at least the one she runs), and this year I went with a few other people associated with CAUSE Canada. I prefer these types of travels so much over that of resorts and hotels, I doubt I could ever go back. Just being in contact with these people and learning about their culture and experiences - suddenly things that occur at home all come into perspective. :)

Fortunately a lady who is currently living in Sierra Leone is coming home over the summer and she is willing on taking the prints back and I have created a weak network system in a way. In the three villages, I asked certain people to be the distrubuters. I have no doubt almost all of them will make them to the correct owner - in these areas everybody knows everybody - so that makes my job easy! :D

Here is one last one (that sounds familiar eh?) taken just before the one with the purse. Unfortunately it is still lacking the movement that tells the full story, but the idea of the dancers is a little more obvious. This is Dinny (sp?) again.

flickr_MG_4032bw.jpg

I best stop sharing or else I won't have any for later! ;)

Edit: Actually, now that I look at this. I think it is being in the crowd that made her hair so 'free' in the previous image of her. It was more crowded then I originally thought!

Great pictures.
especially 1 and 4.

Dani.

Most reactions

Back