Sigma 10-20 vs Canon 10-22

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by keith204, Sep 10, 2007.

1. keith204

keith204 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Which should I buy?

Sigma 10-20 vs Canon 10-22

Sigma seems to have great reviews, will save me 200 bucks
    Canon has 2 more mm's and is a smidgin faster.

2. Don Simon

Don Simon TPF Noob!

As usual, it's about the money. If the Sigma is optically very good, very well-built and fast to focus (which it appears to be) then the question is, are you willing to pay another $200 for another 2mm (on the long end, not the wide end where it would matter most) and the difference between f/3.5 and f/4.5 when both max apertures are variable? Personally I would say no, though you are free to disagree as long as your wallet is on your side :mrgreen:

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I the 2mm on the long end is negligible...it's the wide end that we are worried about with this lens. Also, a slightly larger aperture isn't much of a factor for an ultra wide angle lens.

I think it comes down to image quality and second to that, build quality. From what I read, the Canon is the clear leader for image quality in this class...although some lenses do different things better. The Canon is built very well and has USM focus. I don't know about the Sigma.

I went with the Canon.

4. D-50

D-50 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have the sigma,it seems to be built well and produces nice colors. Im sure the Canon or NIkon wide angles are better but the sigma is a fine lens if $200 is not much to you go with the Canon but the sigma is a quality lens.

5. S2K1

S2K1 TPF Noob!

I was looking to rent one of them on Lensrentals.com and their review said the Canon one is the best wide angle(on APS-C) they've used out of all the wide angles. $200 more worth it though is up to you. I plan to get the Canon when I am in the market for a super wide-angle.

6. shorty6049

shorty6049 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i have the sigma lens, and i love it. I shoot sony though so i didnt have the choice. I agree that the 2mm is neglegible as well becasue i rarely ever even go up to 20mm on mine. I bought it because its so wide on the 10mm end, not because it can go to 20mm wich i already have on 2 other lenses i own. I dont know what the canon is like quality-wise, but i would wager that you wont be dissapointed with either lens, so if you want to save money, i would say that theres nothign wrong with the sigma.

7. keith204

Photos OK to edit
    After reading good reviews on the Sigma, I have been planning on getting the Sigma to save some money. However, I just wanted to get people's opinions here in case there were people who have used the sigma and hated it. From what I have heard though, the Sigma is good.

From what I seem to be hearing, "Sigma is great, but Canon is a little better."

I like that Sigma has HSM. Maybe it's not as good as USM, but nonetheless I have HSM on my 70-200 and I like it.

8. astrostu

astrostu Guest

Remember that the Canon lens is built for the cropped APS-C sensor. So if you do end up upgrading to a full-frame sensor camera in the future, there will be significant vignetting effects.

9. keith204

Photos OK to edit
    is the Sigma not?

10. DSLR noob

DSLR noob TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    so is the sigma and you would get worse than vignetting, you'd get a useless lens. EF-S lenses don't mount to FF cameras.

11. shorty6049

shorty6049 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    yeah, the sigma is definately just for digital. my camera was in the shop so i played around with the lens on my 35mm slr, and there wasnt exactly vignetting.... it was more like a sqare shaped frame caused by the petal hood. (the petals look square because of the distortion, very wierd)

12. keith204

Photos OK to edit
    Well, thanks for all the advice.