sigma 10-20

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by TTPeter, Jul 8, 2006.

1. TTPeter

TTPeter TPF Noob!

2. Xmetal

Xmetal TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    You're not the only one who wants one of these!

Awesome lens for the cash, but it's a shame it's not a fixed F4 appeture through the focal range...can't have it all. :greenpbl:

3. TTPeter

TTPeter TPF Noob!

yes , i have wished that too, dont we all want a 10mm to 400mm tele photo wide lens ar 100 deg, and vr and hsm and for only 99.99, hehe

iam pretty sure i will get this, iam going back and forth with lens, i want to get 2 new ones but iam not sure if wide angle or a zoom one should be first, :confused:

4. Protean

Protean TPF Noob!

the tokina is a 12-24 w/ constant f/4. i've been wondering how much of a differecne 10mm and 12mm have... and ya, im debating weather or not to get a 70-200 2.8 or one of these, it'll prob. be the zoom tho, that way i can start making some money off of sports shots, then i'll get some money for the wide

5. nakedyak

nakedyak TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I used this lens for about 6 months, and had a lot of fun with it.

here's a gallery with my samples from the lens

http://www.pbase.com/nakedyak/sigma_1020mm_f456_ex_dc_hsm

Not a bad lens, a lot of distortion at the edges though, not real sharp at the edges either. Contrasty though.

6. JodieO

JodieO TPF Noob!

I just got this lens, played with it this week on a hike (a few images on my blog below)... I really like it, just have to get used to shooting with and figure out what I want to do with it ;)

7. TTPeter

TTPeter TPF Noob!

iam in the same situation, i like sports , and bird pics, but i also want a wide for landscapes, iam still deciding, iam looking for a lens up too 800

8. Protean

Protean TPF Noob!

meaning, $800 or 800mm?! if its the latter, that thing would be so impossible to use with out a tripod, haha, with a 1.5 crop factor i'd be a 1200mm, and if you just touched your camera it would completely change the shot becuase of like a .5 degree angle of view :lmao:

9. JodieO

JodieO TPF Noob!

I'm not getting this... why can't a tripod be used? I've used a 300mm with a 2x convertor on digital (so what does that equal, over 600mm??) without a tripod propped on my knees as I was sitting down and it gave *okay* results but yeah, a tripod or even a monopod is necessary to have. I would personally love to have an 800mm lens... http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/telephotos/800mm.htm

I have a cheap 500/1,000mm fixed lens, and I have to say it sucks... but it is a real no-name brand.

Personally, I might research this one even though it isn't Nikkor... http://shutterbug.com/equipmentreviews/lenses/1003sb_thesigma/

10. TTPeter

TTPeter TPF Noob!

opps 800$$ i have alos been looking at the simga 70-200mm i just can pick,

JodieO you have both lens , which of the two would u reccomand getting first, i mostly do sports and wild life, birds and animals, but i also enjoy doing landscape ? if u where in my shoes would u get the 10-20mm or the 70-200mm first? and why?

Peter

11. nakedyak

nakedyak TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i'd get the 70-200. there are some lenses that are going to be used more than others, and I think that everyone needs a lens in this category. they are usually light and portable, but fast, enabling you to reach a great variety of subjects with very selective DOF. they are fun lenses - so is the 10-20mm, but you won't use it as much. its more of a specialty lens IMO.

12. LWW

LWW TPF Noob!

I have a Nikkor 80-200 F2.8 and it is a lot of things, but light isn't one of them.

LWW