Sigma 105mm 1.2 8 DG OS EX HMS

Koshua

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I found a Sigma 105mm 1.28 DG OS EX HMS on B&H. Comes with case, hood, receipt, box, and warranty (US). Is this a steal for a portrait lens? $648

Last edited:
Lenses have clicks??????? :boggled: Since when????

Great price, is it stolen?

Considering that's a $500 lens used...

Maybe not stolen, but someone 'rolled the click odometer back'? :lol:

General rule of thumb to live by:

If it is on Craig's list it is either:
1. stolen
2. not as advertised
3. they are looking to rob you
4. they are a prostitute
5. all of the above

So I should definitely get it then?!

Last edited:
I have a copy of this lens. It's among my best and most used lenses, for sure. Super sharp (at all apertures), very smooth bokeh, OS works great, HSM too, and still a light prime lens. It's, just perfect for both macro and portraiture as well. Works great in both DX and FX worlds. If you inspected the lens and it feels good to you, and macro is what you want, don't think twice and just close the deal. It's a great price, for an excellent lens.

Here are my sample shots with it: Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM Macro 1:1

Good luck!

I have a copy of this lens. It's among my best and most used lenses, for sure. Super sharp (at all apertures), very smooth bokeh, OS works great, HSM too, and still a light prime lens. It's, just perfect for both macro and portraiture as well. Works great in both DX and FX worlds. If you inspected the lens and it feels good to you, and macro is what you want, don't think twice and just close the deal. It's a great price, for an excellent lens.

Here are my sample shots with it: Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM Macro 1:1

Good luck!

Awesome. Thanks so much for your post, I'm going to go check it out today!

Is there specific things I should be testing when I try it out?

Last edited:
Ok, I'm going to test this thing out today for $375. He said I could take as long as I need with it, but I can't take it home for a test run. I'll obviously look over the condition of the glass and body, test the autofocus and it's functionality, and shoot with it like I would be shooting in the field. Is there specific things I should be testing when I try it out?

Yes.
  1. Try its bokeh and sharpness to simulate portraiture (headshot) wide open and stopped down.
  2. Try macro shots from f/16 onward. See sharpness and bokeh. A tripod, or flash speedlight, would be useful for these.
  3. Try focusing at infinity (simulating landscape shots). Check the center and borders' sharpness at different apertures.
  4. Check the AF limiter function, and it's three modes: macro range AF (0.312-0.45m), normal range AF (0.45m-infinity), and full focus scale. This will make you to verify the HSM lens motor for AF.
  5. Check its three OS (VR) modes: off, 1 (full OS mode), 2 (panning/sports OS mode).
  6. Check the automatic manual override of the AF system, when AF (not M) is selected in the lens.
  7. Check overall image quality pleasure, zoom 1:1, see the full frame captured, etc.
Have you used a macro prime lens before? Are you aware they don't keep f/2.8 across the whole focus range, differently of non-macro prime lenses?

It is, in fact, a 105mm f/2.8-5.6 prime lens (2.8 at infinity, 5.6 at 1:1 focal distance). The maximum f stop also varies from f/22-45 (f/22 at infinity, f/45 at 1:1 focal distance). Test these values.

This is normal behavior, in case you didn't know about it. Don't panic. Basically all dedicated macro prime lenses behave this way.

Good luck!

810_3113_50mm-12.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, I'm going to test this thing out today for $375. He said I could take as long as I need with it, but I can't take it home for a test run. I'll obviously look over the condition of the glass and body, test the autofocus and it's functionality, and shoot with it like I would be shooting in the field. Is there specific things I should be testing when I try it out?

Yes.
  1. Try its bokeh and sharpness to simulate portraiture (headshot) wide open and stopped down.
  2. Try macro shots from f/16 onward. See sharpness and bokeh. A tripod, or flash speedlight, would be useful for these.
  3. Try focusing at infinity (simulating landscape shots). Check the center and borders' sharpness at different apertures.
  4. Check the AF limiter function, and it's three modes: macro range AF (0.312-0.45m), normal range AF (0.45m-infinity), and full focus scale. This will make you to verify the HSM lens motor for AF.
  5. Check its three OS (VR) modes: off, 1 (full OS mode), 2 (panning/sports OS mode).
  6. Check the automatic manual override of the AF system, when AF (not M) is selected in the lens.
  7. Check overall image quality pleasure, zoom 1:1, see the full frame captured, etc.
Have you used a macro prime lens before? Are you aware they don't keep f/2.8 across the whole focus range, differently of non-macro prime lenses?

It is, in fact, a 105mm f/2.8-5.6 prime lens (2.8 at infinity, 5.6 at 1:1 focal distance). The maximum f stop also varies from f/22-45 (f/22 at infinity, f/45 at 1:1 focal distance). Test these values.

This is normal behavior, in case you didn't know about it. Don't panic. Basically all dedicated macro prime lenses behave this way.

Good luck!

810_3113_50mm-12.jpg
This was beyond helpful, and ended up guiding me to land the purchase! Is yours a little noisy when OS is enabled? It takes great photos, focuses quickly, and everything is tac sharp.

Last edited:
Yes, mine is noisy as well, when OS is on. I got used to it. A minor thing.

Congrats on the new lens. Post some shots. Enjoy.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back