Sigma 150-500mm with Sony Mount

jensgt

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi guys,

I have an Alpha A300....will this lens autofocus on my camera? I read about the HSM motor not being compatible with all cameras, Adorama makes it seem like it would work...but Sigma website made me feel like it might not.

Also anybody got a recommendation on where to search for this lens used??

Hi guys,

I have an Alpha A300....will this lens autofocus on my camera? I read about the HSM motor not being compatible with all cameras, Adorama makes it seem like it would work...but Sigma website made me feel like it might not.

Also anybody got a recommendation on where to search for this lens used??
Sigma | 150-500mm f/5-6.3 DG HSM APO Autofocus Lens | 737205

If they say it's for Sony Alpha camera's, you can take it to the bank, it will AF on Sony Alpha camera's.

One used one: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B001542X64/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&qid=1269828047&sr=8-1&condition=used[/ame]

That link did not work...after reading up I saw a bunch of places that the lens is new and started shipping Saturday??? So that would explain why I cant find any used!

That link did not work...after reading up I saw a bunch of places that the lens is new and started shipping Saturday??? So that would explain why I cant find any used!
Did you go to Amazon.com and enter "sigma 150-500" in the search box and then click on "Used"" when the search was done.

Or do you still need me to do that for you.

The lens isn't new. I bought one over a year ago. Sigma offering it with the Sony mount is another story. That may be recent.

Few people have Sony cameras, compared to Canon and Nikon.

So, 3rd party gear makers put off making anything compatible with Sony till later in the production cycle.

Did you go to Amazon.com and enter "sigma 150-500" in the search box and then click on "Used"" when the search was done.

Or do you still need me to do that for you.

The lens isn't new. I bought one over a year ago. Sigma offering it with the Sony mount is another story. That may be recent.

Few people have Sony cameras, compared to Canon and Nikon.

So, 3rd party gear makers put off making anything compatible with Sony till later in the production cycle.

Wow...quite a bit of attitude here for no reason. Don't blame me for your link being bad and the fact that you said there was a used one on Amazon, when there is not one and there was not one as of yesterday. I have checked a few times. I never meant the lens itself was new but yes the Sony mount is apparently new...and I have a Sony camera.

Wow...quite a bit of attitude here for no reason. Don't blame me for your link being bad and the fact that you said there was a used one on Amazon, when there is not one and there was not one as of yesterday. I have checked a few times. I never meant the lens itself was new but yes the Sony mount is apparently new...and I have a Sony camera.

Don't bite the hand that feeds you

Don't bite the hand that feeds you

I am sorry but he had an attitude towards me that was uncalled for. Its a big forum, I would rather be given an answer by somebody who is nice about it.

It was not KmH fault regarding the Amazon link. If someone just cut and paste the Amazon link here, most of the time will end up like that. I believe the forum software did something to the link automatically. It doesn't matter what items you link to.

I didn't mind the link being broken...I am fully able to search myself but I can tell you with certainty that there was not yesterday nor today any used sigma 150-500 for Sony mount on there.

HSM → motor
motor → autofocus

?

Look at Sigmas website. This is what it says...

Corresponding MountsSigma OS
HSM
CONV
Nikon OS
HSM
CONV
D
Canon OS
HSM
CONV
Sony/Minolta CONV
Pentax

So looking at that tells me the Sony Minolta does not work with HSM...which it does say on Sigma website that if the mount does not support HSM then auto focus may not work. So this is why its a very valid question to ask around before spending a grand on something. Dunno why people have issues with the question. Pretty messed up IMO. This place is supposed to be friendly right?

Sigma lenses on Sony Alphas for some reason tend to focus noisily, but quickly and one can certainly tell that when the noise ends, focus has been achieved. It can take a little getting used to, but it is not a problem.

skieur

Most reactions

Back