Sigma 150-600 Garbage

How goes the bird shooting ?

I caught this bird right above me. Saw her flying from far off and it looked pretty good to be right under neath.
Luckily it didn't drop a ton of poop of me .. that woulda' hurt.

Aircraft Boeing 747-400 (quad-jet) (B744/Lphotos)
Speed 520 kts (planned: 482 kts) (graph)
Altitude 35,000 feet (planned: 35,000 feet) (graph)
6.6 miles above my head. Not bad for cropped 600mm SOOC.

Distance Direct: 3,946 sm Planned: 4,095 sm

747_Chicago_to_Londona.jpg

Last edited:
Neat, hand held?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Neat, hand held?

always hand held.
Not enough time to do anything else.
they are moving fast. So when I see them I usually have 30 seconds max to get outside with the camera and ready.

Neat, hand held?

always hand held.
they are moving fast. So when I see them I usually have 30 seconds max to get outside with the camera and ready.
I shot some birds on vacation with a bridge camera but nothing with the Sigma. I used it at the soccer game but don't really need it that long. Probably could use my 55-300 for it.

Zoomed WAY in on this jet but I still can't see any markings that ID the model, the departure, or the destination. You got an app?
747_Chicago_to_Londona_DxO.jpg

Zoomed WAY in on this jet but I still can't see any markings that ID the model, the departure, or the destination. You got an app?
View attachment 120302
He does and is the plane guru. He blew my mind with his stuff. Dude has it going on. Click on his link, you will see app

How goes the bird shooting ?

I caught this bird right above me. Saw her flying from far off and it looked pretty good to be right under neath.
Luckily it didn't drop a ton of poop of me .. that woulda' hurt.

Aircraft Boeing 747-400 (quad-jet) (B744/Lphotos)
Speed 520 kts (planned: 482 kts) (graph)
Altitude 35,000 feet (planned: 35,000 feet) (graph)
6.6 miles above my head. Not bad for cropped 600mm SOOC.

Distance Direct: 3,946 sm Planned: 4,095 sm

View attachment 120300
On its way to London, England. Neat, flew right over your crib... glad I have that app. I followed my wife's flight a couple weeks back. I was able to know when to pick her up.[emoji41]

View attachment 120302

Detroit Metro Wayne Co Airport (Detroit, MI) KDTW / DTW Flight Tracker ✈ FlightAware

Watch them all the time. Above link is Detroit Metro - go the the "Live Flight Tracking" in the top left menu option and you can see all that you can track. I also have the iPhone app for when I'm out and about.

You can watch for specific planes flying around the world.
Check their flight paths .. and hope it may be just perfectly above you.
Blue planes are inbound landing.
Green are outbound.
The fatter planes are international flights.

But the app is about 5 minutes behind (minimum).
If you hear one way above go about 30-45 degrees past the sound and you can visually find them way up there if there are no trails.

Last edited:
It's a lot easier though it you get permission to sit on the landing .. j/k
Air02-09 by Steve Sklar, on Flickr

But with that app you can camp out at an airport in a specific location of hte planes coming in and get them further away from the airport getting ready to land, such as above with my Sigma 150-500

or, if you know the landing patterns in various weather conditions you can camp out and getting them doing the final turn for a long approach or where ever

this is UNcropped .. the link shows the 747 doing a 45 degree turn for final approach.
747 Turning May 17 2015 (MD-11, A-380 and others )

Air20150517-43 by Steve Sklar, on Flickr

It's a lot easier though it you get permission to sit on the landing .. j/k
Air02-09 by Steve Sklar, on Flickr

But with that app you can camp out at an airport in a specific location of hte planes coming in and get them further away from the airport getting ready to land, such as above with my Sigma 150-500

or, if you know the landing patterns in various weather conditions you can camp out and getting them doing the final turn for a long approach or where ever

this is UNcropped .. the link shows the 747 doing a 45 degree turn for final approach.
747 Turning May 17 2015 (MD-11, A-380 and others )

Air20150517-43 by Steve Sklar, on Flickr

I remember the days (70's) my Dad would take us to the foot of the runway at Metro and the planes would fly just over your head. It was exciting for a kid. I used to love that. Unfortunately, those days are long gone.

The police have checked out my lens before.
so I stay further away from the airport, plus the better pics are further away unless you get the smoke from the tire landing.

I have driving spots on my GPS to go to for the various landing patterns.
And you learn the larger planes may land on one specific runway at airports, etc.

Neat, hand held?

always hand held.
I shot some birds on vacation with a bridge camera but nothing with the Sigma. I used it at the soccer game but don't really need it that long. Probably could use my 55-300 for it.

I took pics at a soccer game. Sat at the 50 yard line as far up as I could (high school stadium) on a full pitch. Got some great shots with the 150-600, JPEG, mostly SOOC.
TCU14G (28 of 43)a.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back