sigma 150-600 sport lens, ( Thread is now a review )

i need a stroller for babies, that way i can just set my lens in and and wheel it around...:allteeth: that actually might not be a bad idea to tell you the truth.. some times i go shoot with my friends wife and their kid, she bring the stroller and we put our coats and water bottles or what ever extra we have with us in the little bottom compartment or on top of the little thing that folds down the keep the sun/rain off the kid. if your going out into the woods and what not that would not be so good but for this trips to the state park where you just stay on the trails it would work out great. lol..

i kind of carry my lens like a football, i put my left arm at a 90o angle and rest the camera on top of it and than i put my right are under it for support and hold it against my body. or i use my strap as a shoulder strap and let the lens hang down at my hip, my main problem is back aches when carrying it around, i might have fiber myalga or something, it causes me lots of cramped up muscles and aches and pains and ever couple years i get a lock up on the back muscles and that usually puts me down for a week or two. some sort of stroller type thing would actually be great for days when my back is aching badly.

when i got the 150-500 the first few weeks was rough but i got used to carrying it and it did not bother me, now this lens seems to give me a back ache but ill probably get used to it as well..just from shooting with the new lens and carrying it around my left shoulder and left bicep really started to get tired after only short period of time. usually i can shoot all day with my 150-500 and that does not really seem to happen, it did when i first got the lens though.. so i think i will get used to the extra weight..

maybe i can invent a mono pod with off road wheels lol..

When I shot sports where I'm in one position for a long time with the camera always up I use a carbon monopod with the heavy lenses. Good ones come up on ebay from time to time. The last one I saw sell - a Slik 381 carbon monopod (like I have) sold for $39. There's one there now for $45. It's nice and light but super strong. All the other makers have their pro carbon monopods too.

Here is a shot Wifey took of me strolling along with the rig hanging to the side. I carry the Tamster exactly the same way. Even though you can't see it, my right hand is holding either the regular grip, or the battery grip. I'm using the Op-Tech sling strap.
uploadfromtaptalk1445013616120.jpg

well i just went out shooting again, clouds and sun, clouds and sun, kept having to screw with exposure comp. i go a few really nice photos today. the weight was not bothering me so much today, i took the strap off the old lens because its made to hook to the lens in one spot, compared to having the strap hooked to each side of the new lens. now i can use the strap the way i want and the camera is not hanging in a awkward position. i shot for probably 2 hours and i was doing pretty well with the weight of the lens.

when you get a good exposure you can very nice photos. when you get a bad exp0sure well, you get lousy photos, this lens seems a bit more touchy when it comes to needing to get a good exposure.

here are some more photos i got today, shooting wide open, 1/1000, ISO auto i think its set to go up to 64000

the raw file of the turkey buzzard or turkey vulture, which ever it is, looks much better than the jpeg does for some reason.. i do notice jpegs often do not look the same as the raw file did
DSC_0673.jpg
DSC_0792.jpg
DSC_0823.jpg
DSC_0835.jpg
DSC_0935.jpg
DSC_0973.jpg
DSC_1035.jpg
DSC_1039-3.jpg

Last edited:
fixed it up a bit, looks better now..
DSC_1039.jpg

one thing i dont really get on this lens, it has a focus mode switch. there are 3 settings. the first one says full. the second one is 10mm-infinity and the third one is 2.6-10mm

i was playing with this today and i was not really noticing any difference in the way the auto focus worked. i tried all 3 modes and they all seemed the same. nothing i was trying to focus on was that close to me though, that may be why.. any one know how this works.. i guess you can customize this with the usb dock.. this is the best explanation i could find but its not really explaining it that well as far as i can understand. i am guessing full range is the one i should be using since what i am shooting could be far away or very close ??

""By reducing the focus distance range the lens has to hunt through to find the correct focus distance, this lens can potentially lock focus faster. The focus limiter switch is designed for this purpose. Select between 32.8'(10m) - 8, 9.2'- 32.8'(2.8m - 10m) and the full range of focus distances. Don't like any of those options? The dock can be used to create your own focus limit ranges, instantly selectable using the Custom Mode switch on the lens.""

the focus seems to be dead on at 600mm from what i can tell.. not quite enough light in the room so its a bit dark but i think it worked alright,, i am not really sure how far away from the card i should be, the camera and the card where both at the same height or at least really close to it. i know it says you want to fill the frame with the card so i went back till it basically filled the frame, at that point the lens would not focus, i was too close so i had to take a few steps back and than it would focus. so i am not sure if i was far enough away or not. the 0 appears to be the sharpest.

DSC_1080.jpg

I had the sigma 150-500 and now the tamron 150-600

When I carry it any distance I actually essentially put my hand on my hip or jacket pocket then the camera/lens goes into the triangle section I create, and I hold it in there - with the neckstrap still around my neck though loose. This prevents my neck from bearing the weight of the lens/camera while walking.

I walked D.C. with the Tamron 150-600 in tow from 6am till 2:30pm. No big deal at all. I had it held by a monopod w/camera attached for a majority of the time in the Zoo. Otherwise it was in my shoulder messenger style bag.

Most reactions

Back