Sigma 17-50mm 2.8 lens has become inconsistent...blurry

gmckay60

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have had this lens for about 6 months and it has been amazingly sharp, however may last few venture out , both hand held with vr on and tripod with vr off, have given very inconsistent results. Very fuzzy at any focal length and aperture, but mostly in medium to low light. Bright days seem to give me better results. Anyone else had this issue or returned lens to Sigma for calibration??

I have had this lens for about 6 months and it has been amazingly sharp, however may last few venture out , both hand held with vr on and tripod with vr off, have given very inconsistent results. Very fuzzy at any focal length and aperture, but mostly in medium to low light. Bright days seem to give me better results. Anyone else had this issue or returned lens to Sigma for calibration??

I shot with this lens and never had an issue.

Thanks D-B-J. Not sure what is going on. I took it last evening to do some shooting at a popular Natural lake here in East Texas that I have shot several times with this lens with great results, but just about every shot was soft. I only shot bracketed shots so I am not sure if the shutter slap was giving it problems and I did not have the camera securely fastened to the tripod. Of course that does not explain the hand held with the vr on I did recently on a family portrait session. I am going to try again with other lenses to make sure it is not the camera.

Thanks D-B-J. Not sure what is going on. I took it last evening to do some shooting at a popular Natural lake here in East Texas that I have shot several times with this lens with great results, but just about every shot was soft. I only shot bracketed shots so I am not sure if the shutter slap was giving it problems and I did not have the camera securely fastened to the tripod. Of course that does not explain the hand held with the vr on I did recently on a family portrait session. I am going to try again with other lenses to make sure it is not the camera.

Can you post an example?

lay out a measuring tape on a table, set your camera on a tripod at a 45 degree angle to the tape at about 3 ft. Pick a spot and snap away at 2.8, 4.0, 5.6 etc. This will tell you if you have a focusing issue.

This might more accurate.

I just use some duct tape, stuck to the side of the building...I shoot right out the door with the camera indoors but tripod-mounted. Here are a few cropped center sections from SOOC JPG tests from this summer.
D3x_7814_Crop_135mm on zoom.png

D3X_7768_CROP.jpg

Most reactions

Back