Sigma 17-70f2.8

jlykins

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jlykinsphotos.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am looking to pick up a zoom in this range and I can't afford (wife won't let me spend the money) for the Nikon 17-55 2.8. What do you guys think of this lens? I am between this one: http://www.adorama.com/SG1770HNKAF.html

and the Tamron 17-50 2.8. Here is the link to it:http://www.adorama.com/TM1750NKAF.html

I have heard great things about the Tamron but the extra distance with the Sigma would be nice as long as it is as good of a lens. What's everyone's opinion on this?

The hit on this one is that it's not 2.8 all the way through. At the end of the focal range, it's f/4.5. The Tamron 17-50 highly appreciated though.

I don't have first-hand experience with either of these, but have been researching these to purchase. The Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 is the one I'd buy based on what I've heard.

That's right. The 17-70 isn't just F2.8...it's F2.8-4.5....so it's not as good as you were making out.

The 17-50mm Tamron or 18-50mm Sigma are both F2.8 throughout the zoom range, which is much better.

Still, if more range is more important to you, the 17-70mm lenses do get fairly good reviews.

I have the tamron. It's a great lens. Especially for the price. I chose it over the sigma based on reviews I read. I'm very happy with it.

I have the tamron. It's a great lens. Especially for the price. I chose it over the sigma based on reviews I read. I'm very happy with it.

Ditto, ditto.....and....ditto.

Freedbaby

I just recently purchased the sigma 18-50 f2.8 and personally I think it's great.

very sharp and pretty fast auto focusing

In the last 4 months there were 3 magazines that did a shootout betweeen the Tamron 17-5-, Nikkor 17-55 and Sigma 18-50 HSM macro. In all 3, the Sigma blew them all away in sharpness CA and lens distortion. The Sigma was aslso 1/3rd the price of the Nikkor and throws in a 3:1 macro for free that none of the others have.

Basedon those tests I bought the Sigma and am immensly happy with it.

The HSM on the sigma is only available in the Nikon mount. Had it been available in the Canon mount as well that might have swayed my decision.

I picked up the Tamron. I haven't had a chance to shoot with it yet, but I am doing Easter Pictures of my kids and the wifes aunt's kids next weekend so I'll get a chance to use it then.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back