Sigma 18-200MM HSM or 18-200MM OS HSM

Michael.McBee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The price of the 18-200MM HSM is $310 and the OS HSM is $480.

Do any of you guys use this lense? Is the stabilization worth the $170 difference?

Are you looking to buy it for your D40?

I would probably pay for the later, although i have not tryed out sigma's OS

Not sure if you know... but you won't be able to use the autofocus on any lenses other than Nikkor lenses. The d40 doesn't have a focus motor built into it.
I used to shoot with my D40 up until 2 months ago.

Not sure if you know... but you won't be able to use the autofocus on any lenses other than Nikkor lenses. The d40 doesn't have a focus motor built into it.
I used to shoot with my D40 up until 2 months ago.

These lenses do auto focus on the D40. The HSM (Hyper Sonic Motor) gives them the ability to auto focus on the D40.

Cool, then go for it :) (When I got mine, I was told that sigma didn't make lenses for the D40... haven't done further research on it... so I stand to be corrected) Look forward to seeing results when you make you decision :D

The price of the 18-200MM HSM is $310 and the OS HSM is $480.

Do any of you guys use this lense? Is the stabilization worth the $170 difference?

IMO if you have the extra money image stabilization is worth it.... the lens is slow to begin with so every little bit helps....

I was looking at that lens in the past as well for Canon.

At that time, if I am going to get the lens, I will get the OS version as well because, according to Photozone, the optical quality of the OS version (as least for the Canon mount version) is better than the non-OS.

(note: I change my mind and decided not get that)

I know Dave here has the Canon version with he OS and he like it. And the place where he get is cheaper than $480

OS. No question about it.

Depends what you're shooting. If you like low-light photos and don't want to get a tripod, then yes, certainly get the OS. It will allow you to use much slower a shutter speed than a non-OS lens.

Just before you do, though, be sure to try the lens out in a camera shop. According to the manual (and reading between the lines), the D40 will only autofocus with lenses that have a maximum aperture of f/5.6 or higher (lower F-number). It will probably work with a 6.3 lens, but better to be safe than sorry.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back