Sigma 18-50 F2.8 VS. Tamron 17-50 F2.8

anubis404

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking to replace my 18-70 with a better lens. Both of the lenses listed above are about the same price. What is the difference between them?

That's it? Surely something distinguishes the two?

Based on the reviews I read, I will choose the Tamron. Mainly because of the optical quality.

Optical quality is my primary concern, however this test suggests otherwise. Any thoughts?

I've never used the sigma, but the Tamron 17-50 is my walkabout lens. I love it. The only disadvantage, in my book, is that it is not an ultrasonic motor, so it is a bit louder than a USM/HSM lens, although that has never been an issue for me. The warrantee is outstanding (6 years) and I had to send it back once after dropping it (AF stopped working) -- turnaround was under a week and they didn't charge me. The optics are excellent and it feels great on my 30D. I have several Sigma EX series lenses and am happy with those too, but have no experience with the one you're looking at.

Anubis, why don't you do what I did, which was basically google both and read, read, read.

When I was doing that, I found that three photography magazines did a shootout between the Tamron, Sigma and Nikkor and that in all 3 cases, the Sigma eeked out a win over all competitors (including the $1500 Nikkor 17-55!). It also has a 3:1 macro that none of the competition have.

I ended up puchasing the Sigma and been very happy.

BTW, basic lens comparison info is hardly something that belongs in Beyond the Basics.

I have the Sigma, and it's great. I have noticed the Sigma warming or yellow, but it's never been a real problem. I know many people who have the Tamron, and they say it's great. You can't go wrong with either. Tamron has a longer warranty.

Anubis, why don't you do what I did, which was basically google both and read, read, read.

When I was doing that, I found that three photography magazines did a shootout between the Tamron, Sigma and Nikkor and that in all 3 cases, the Sigma eeked out a win over all competitors (including the $1500 Nikkor 17-55!). It also has a 3:1 macro that none of the competition have.

I ended up puchasing the Sigma and been very happy.

BTW, basic lens comparison info is hardly something that belongs in Beyond the Basics.

I've tried googling and reading, but the only thing I've gotten is how good they are individually, not in comparison to each other. That test was as far as I got, and I still don't understand some of the terminology used.

Thanks for all your help anyway.

The new version of the Sigma does seem to get very good reviews. I read a lot about these lenses a couple years ago and got the Tamron because that seamed to be the best...but the new Sigma was just coming out and didn't have many reviews at that time.

Either way, they are both very good and I doubt that you would be disappointed.

The new version of the Sigma does seem to get very good reviews. I read a lot about these lenses a couple years ago and got the Tamron because that seamed to be the best...but the new Sigma was just coming out and didn't have many reviews at that time.

Either way, they are both very good and I doubt that you would be disappointed.

You hit on a good point, Mike... there are 3 variants of the Sigma 18-50, and only the latest one (HSM) is the one winning all the shootouts. This last model came out last summer so it's a touch over a year old... but that is the model to get, not the other 2 previous models (without HSM). They suffered typical Sigma issues of back-focusing and QC control issues.

You hit on a good point, Mike... there are 3 variants of the Sigma 18-50, and only the latest one (HSM) is the one winning all the shootouts. This last model came out last summer so it's a touch over a year old... but that is the model to get, not the other 2 previous models (without HSM). They suffered typical Sigma issues of back-focusing and QC control issues.

If the Sigma is an EX series and has HSM, I would buy it over the Tamron ... the ultrasonic motor was not available when I bought my Tamron and the Tamron 6 year warranty sold me.

BTW, I own 3 Sigma EX series lenses (10-20mm f4-5.6, 50-150mm f2.8, 100-300mm f4) and have had NO backfocusing or QC issues with any of them. I also own both EX series teleconverters (1.4x and 2x) and have had no QC issues with them either.

Ian

A couple years ago Sigma had some huge QC issues, but they did something to change things a LOT. I rarely hear about front of back focusing issues on any Sigma bought within the last 18 months.

I didn't know the newest sigma had HSM. If that's the case, then that will be my choice. Thanks for everyone's help!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back