Sigma 200-500 2.8

Watchful

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
To those that have this lens already: what are your impressions with it? My questions are:
1. Does it get used a lot?
2. Did you buy new or used?
3. Is it worth full price just to add it to your bag and not use it all the time or is it better to get one about half price used?

Some caveats: I don't like buying used gear, and when I am done and want to thin out the collection, I give away the old since I don't want to make someone pay for something I wouldn't buy used myself.
Also, because of its size it would be a long set up in a blind and take some effort and time just to start that day.

Thanks, looking forward to hearing from people with experience with this lens, please post a few pics you took with it.

Last edited:
The only person I know who has used this lens is Juza
Sigma 200-500mm F2.8 EX DG on the field | JuzaPhoto

Other than him (and he only rented) I don't know of anyone who has used this lens. It's very pricey and big and more exotic than even the super-telephoto lenses. You might have to hit some of the much bigger sites like Photography on the Net to find any users or renters of that lens.

I'd also say that if you're seriously considering buying then I'd rent it for a week or two with some trips to use it on so that you can get a real world experience. The rental cost will be nothing compared to the price and it gives you a real world impression and experience of the lens before actually buying it

Good idea, thanks.

A lens of this price range it would be almost mandatory to rent it first.
1. You can see if it is sharp enough/ enough extra reach to justify the $$
2. Allow you to see if it's just going to be a conversation piece or something you will use.

and when I am done and want to thin out the collection, I give away the old since I don't want to make someone pay for something I wouldn't buy used myself.

Hey if you ever feel the need to "GIVE AWAY" a 20+k lens forget the bigger sites. Make your way back here. Someone would be more than happy to help you out.

I like the way you think, I have two daughters and a lot of nephews and nieces that take the old gear I don't need though, it's just a matter of remembering who got what last time.

I would use it to do some still but mostly for video I think, at least that was the idea. To extend shooting to later evening and still get something worth keeping.

Most reactions

Back