Sigma 200mm 2.8 With my D40x

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Heck, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Heck

Heck TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Been thinking about getting this lens for my D40x. From what I found it works with with the D40x because it has a AF motor in it. I will be going from a F4-5.6 55-200mm kit lens to this. So will there be a "Omg this is a amazing" difference from one to the other?

I'm happy with the D40x so should I invest in a lens like this or is there a better way to go about spending this kind of money?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/435161-USA/Sigma_569306_70_200mm_f_2_8_EX_DG.html

2. sabbath999

sabbath999 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I haven't shot it, but you are correct that it will work with your D40x (any Sigma HSM will).

3. Deadeye008

Deadeye008 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You can get it new on ebay for about $100 cheaper.

4. Don Simon

Don Simon TPF Noob!

My answer to your first question would be yes. The 70-200mm f/2.8 will basically be better than your kit lens in every way except one (the weight and size factor).

As for whether you should invest in it... can't really decide that for you. I guess you need to consider a few things... what made you look at this lens? What about your kit zoom are you unhappy with?

5. Heck

Heck TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I shoot tons off auto cross races and I have to crop on almost all my shots. So If I had better glass I could get better sharper photos when I do crop. And the AF may be faster with the better lens Plus it works with my D40.