Sigma 28-70 f2.8 VS Tamron 28-75 f2.8

wgp1987

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
ugh, i went to my local camera shop to look at the tamron version. it felt a little cheap as the tamrons do. The focusing was decent and seemed to take nice pics. I have a friend who is in the professional aspect of photography that says everyone he knows swares by sigma. I have read some of the forums on the tamron compared to the canon version. the tamron seems to be a good lens. What about the sigma tho? please help me! im ordering the lens monday :D

Are you kidding me? You work in the camera industry, selling cameras and lenses, yet you can't make a decision like this for yourself? C'mon man, you don't need 10 threads asking about the same lenses. Make up your mind already!

Are you kidding me? You work in the camera industry, selling cameras and lenses, yet you can't make a decision like this for yourself? C'mon man, you don't need 10 threads asking about the same lenses. Make up your mind already!

we dont carry this lens! ugh, no sir ... when it comes to buying something for myself i am OCD. your not helping! lol

dont know if this will help you or not but i have a 28-80mm sigma macro lens and i think its great but ive never used a tamron so i cant really compare the 2.

I have about a few thousand dollars of glass, and the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 is the sharpest lens I own. Build quality is alright, autofocus is pretty fast, but can hunt in the dark sometimes, color rendition is pretty darn good, but the sharpness is mind boggling. I would recomend this lens to anyone.

I have about a few thousand dollars of glass, and the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 is the sharpest lens I own. Build quality is alright, autofocus is pretty fast, but can hunt in the dark sometimes, color rendition is pretty darn good, but the sharpness is mind boggling. I would recomend this lens to anyone.

thank you for the reply, i think the tamron is the clear choice. i was on bhphotovideo.com and adorama.com and noticed the shear volume of reviews between the 2. it seems the tamron outsells the sigma 8 to 1. on b&h's website the tamron has 80+ reviews ... the sigma .... less than 20. Normally i wouldnt lean towards a lens just because it has a larger quantity of reviews, but maybe there is a reason why? i just always have to question the hell out of all my thoughts before i can make up my mind :/

IN know way, shape, or form am I trying to sound disrespectful...but how the hell is a Tamron the sharpest lens you own out thousands of dollars wirth of glass??? You must have lotsa cruddy glass.....

I would go with the sigma, just because I feel more comfortable with the sigma, and if you work at a camera place...whatever the one you stock, test it, try it in relatively dark places, and if you like it, get that one and have no regrets.
If you notice anything significant about it you dont like, get the other brand, if you dont like it, return it and get the brand your shop stocks.

I feel like I was really confusing...im sorry I just dont remember what brand you said you work stocks....

here is a review you might find interesting:
Juza Nature Photography

sadly Juza could not get hold of a canon 24-70mm so the 24-105 is in the mix as a canon comparison.

secondly - and I am being nice - but wgp1987 instead of constantly making repeat threads if you want more input on the original question just give the first thread a bump post requesting additional input. Its far better than repeat threads asking the same questions over and over again - which also gives the impression that you are not considering the viewpoints of those who have taken time to post in the earlier threads.

here is a review you might find interesting:
Juza Nature Photography

sadly Juza could not get hold of a canon 24-70mm so the 24-105 is in the mix as a canon comparison.

secondly - and I am being nice - but wgp1987 instead of constantly making repeat threads if you want more input on the original question just give the first thread a bump post requesting additional input. Its far better than repeat threads asking the same questions over and over again - which also gives the impression that you are not considering the viewpoints of those who have taken time to post in the earlier threads.

im new to forums. there are some people on here that dont like me i guess. im just trying to fit in! lol you are right tho. i will bump 4 now on :/. that review is somewhat helpfull but does not compare the 2 lenses i am looking at directly ... the sigma 24-70 might be differant than the 28-70. ugh

Everybody like you. ;) Nothing really against you.

Imagine when forum users keep seeing threads that looks similar, they thought that answered the questions or gave input already ... but did not found anything in the current thread. Talks about confusion.

As for the Tamron lens goes, I do see a lot of good reviews on it in terms of optical performance in cropped body.

However, since you always said you may have a chance to go with full frame soon, so take a look at here.

Tamron AF 28-75mm f/2.8 SP XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) - Test Report / Review

There are lot's on online renting services. Rent them and see which you like better.

For some folks photography is a more mystical pursuit than for others, and faith in fetish is amazingly powerful. I believe that there isn't much difference between any given Tamron, Sigma, and Canon lens, but if you believe there is you better buy the one you want, or you will be plagued with doubt until you end up buying the one you wanted in the first place.

Everybody like you. ;) Nothing really against you.

Imagine when forum users keep seeing threads that looks similar, they thought that answered the questions or gave input already ... but did not found anything in the current thread. Talks about confusion.

As for the Tamron lens goes, I do see a lot of good reviews on it in terms of optical performance in cropped body.

However, since you always said you may have a chance to go with full frame soon, so take a look at here.

Tamron AF 28-75mm f/2.8 SP XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) - Test Report / Review

i find out about my camera in less than 2 weeks. the wait is killing me, as u might know. i think maybe renting them this time might be my best bet to not regret a purchase

Why don't you just go with Canon lens? Although I don't know much about Canon, usual case is that the manufacturer's glass is far superior than the 3rd party makers (in terms of being future proof).

If price is the problem...I cannot give you a good comparison b/w the two.

Most reactions

Back