Sigma 28-70mm f/2.8 EX DG IF -OR- Tamron Autofocus 28-75mm f2.8 XR Di LD IF??

rasheemo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
dunno about the 28-75, but I love my Tamron 17-50mm f2.8

i'm looking for a walk-around lens to replace my canon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 kit lens. the tamaron seems to have more favorable reviews but i am not too sure about the differences.

any opinions?

Tamron Autofocus 28-75mm f2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) for Canon SLR Cameras

Sigma 28-70mm f/2.8 EX DG IF Aspherical Lens for Canon SLR Cameras

Aren't you afraid to miss the wide end of your current lens (from 18 to 28mm)? I think icassell suggestion is a good one. I, too, would look into something like a 17-50 f2.8.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
that is a fair suggestion. i'm not sure if 50mm is sufficient zoom, i guess ill have to mount my nifty fifty and see if it's enough. 17mm DOES sound appealing. gahh decisions!!

you might check out photosig.com ... there are outstanding images there and you can sort by lens

You might also consider getting the 28-75 and also getting an ultrawide (like the Sigma 10-20)

that would be optimal if i was a rich man haha.

I still prefer Tokina over Sigma or Tamron, but they're a bit more expensive, and don't believe they have a "walk around" lens, especially not a wide to telephoto zoom.

I'd prefer something in the 17-50ish range for a walk around lens on an APS format camera, but if you like the telephoto end 28-75 may be more useful.

I have a Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 which I use on my APS DSLRs, and a Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 that tends to stay on my 35mm DSLRs, although I do like it for portraits on APS DSLRs.

In general Sigma and Tamron make excellent lenses. I think Tamron has an edge, but it is slight. Sigma lenses are often a bit warmer. Some folks complain about "Sigma yellow". I don't find it a big deal, but I'm shooting raw; it could be a bigger deal with jpeg. My Tamron lenses have significantly longer warranties than my Sigma or Canon lenses.

in that case i think i might stick to an 18-50 f/2.8

i believe wide angle to be more important to me then telephoto, but i also wish i did have some nice telephoto range. oh well, thanks again guys =]

Most reactions

Back