Sigma 50-150mm 2.8 - why no reviews?

Tasmaster

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I guess this is a bit random.

Looking around a bit, there very few reviews for the Sigma 50-150mm 2.8, and most of the "major" sites seem to conspicuously ignore it. The reason this seems weird to me is because it is supposed to cover an important niche, being the 70-200mm 2.8 equivalent for DX - APS sensors (and at around 1/3 of the price). This alone makes it sound important. Other third party lenses that cover similarly important niches got much more coverage (notably the Sigma 10-20mm).

Why do you think it was ignored? What reviews you can find agree that it isn't a bad lens at all. Do you think that it is not notable enough, and i am just being weird?

These are user reviews, aka opinions. I like them and use them, but they are not what i am talking about here :).

Maybe i should clarify, i am not looking for a review of this lens (fwiw i have it and like it). I am wondering why it got too little attention from pro reviewers.

It's only been out for a short while compared to most other lenses...that would be my guess as to why there are fewer reviews.

It's only been out for a short while compared to most other lenses...that would be my guess as to why there are fewer reviews.

It has been out like two years now? Most review sites rush to review new products as soon as they are out, including third party lenses. It is interesting though that the lens is supported by DxO Optics.

I'm not arguing, mostly making observations and conversation so please take everything lightly.

Maybe it is the unique focal length range? 50-150 although arguably useful, it doesn read as impressive as "70-200" which has ingrained itself in the collective minds of the community, even though it replicates exactly that on cropped sensors. But in theory, it should grab reviewers' attention for that very fact... :confused:

Maybe it is the unique focal length range? 50-150 although arguably useful, it doesn read as impressive as "70-200" which has ingrained itself in the collective minds of the community, even though it replicates exactly that on cropped sensors.
I think there may be some truth in this. After all, the 70-200 F2.8 lenses are great because they give you lots of reach while still giving you a nice wide aperture. In most situations, it's a lot more practical than the few other F2.8 telephoto options.

While the 50-150mm does replicate this for crop body cameras, the point of a lens like this is still giving you more reach. So why use a 50-150mm when you could use a 70-200mm?

The crop lenses (DX/EF-S etc) that are more talked about (and more desirable) are the ones that give us a wider view...because that's what we lost when going to crop sensor DSLR cameras.

You could almost say that the 50-150mm is the answer to a question that nobody asked...if you know what I mean.

I hear you, good points. I guess it turned out to be one of these cases of products that do everything right on paper (and in practice), and end up being ignored anyway because they just don't "click" - no pun intended - for one reason or another.

The fact that we are gettting all metaphorical to talk about this shows that it is more than just numbers.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back