Sigma 50-500mm Rare Manual/Automatic Focus

Discussion in 'Buy and Sell' started by Schwarzforest, May 26, 2010.

1. Schwarzforest

Schwarzforest TPF Noob!

2. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I find that a rather amusing claim...Sigma made boatloads of 50-500's....the lens is far from "rare" by any definition of the word rare. Currently, KEH.com has FOUR Sigma 50-500's for sale in Nikon mount: one of the earlier models, and three of the newer DG models. Prices range from $789 to $849 at KEH.

3. Tulsa

Tulsa TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    haha

4. Schwarzforest

Schwarzforest TPF Noob!

Ok, your term "boatload" is a big exaggeration for THIS LENS TYPE. You obviously are too stupid to read what I wrote before, this is not just an automatic lens, but a manual lens as well. Good luck trying to find one online. Fact is, this lens is rare to buy anywhere. Show me 1 piece of evidence where someone is selling this manual lens ANYWHERE!!!

And by the way, the lens right now is up on Ebay for less than $400, so if you want to buy go ahead, it's a deal right now.

Good luck on your findings, lol

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  5. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    If by automatic and manual you are meaning the AF function - the current 50-500mm does have HSM focusing as well as now sporting OS
    Sigma Imaging (UK) Ltd

Sigma have stopped making the 50-500mm original that you are selling and they appear to be retailing at higher than you're selling
    Sigma 50-500mm f4-6.3 EX DG Lens - Nikon Fit (736955) - Warehouse Express

So certainly out of production and into market stock remains now for certain.

ps I belive the nikon versions of this lens all had the manual aperture controls whilst other models didn't - but that would be a question for the nikonshooters to answer

6. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Uh, Sorry Schwartforest, but the lens you are selling is exceedingly COMMON, and widely POPULAR. Sigma sold boatloads of the same,exact,pedestrian lens you are hyping as a "rare" lens. The lens is not rare in any way, shape, or form. The lens even has its own nickname; ie, the lens is called the Bigma or simply "Bigma". I am not sure where you are getting the hyperbole, but the "automatic and manual" aspect of the lens is the same as all the other models of its type...this is a lens that sold new for $799 or so nearly a decade ago.

I got a huge laugh with the comment, "try to find one on-line." Hah hah....there are FOUR on-line right now, at KEH.com. And five on eBay. Today. Right now.All in Nikon F mount. There are 28 ebay entries for the lens today,mostly in Canon EF mount. The Bigma was hugely popular with low-end wildlife and bird and field sports shooters who wanted a long lens with a slow maximum aperture at the $800 price point. I am intimately familiar with the e-Bay seller's practice of calling a common lens "Rare!" in order to dupe unsuspecting buyers.

Sorry dude, nice try, but no sale. Perhaps you're just misguided and actually believe that your common-as-nails Bigma is somehow "Rare!". But it is not.
    It is a Sigma. A very,very popular one, with tens of thousands of units available.

7. Dao

Dao No longer a newbie, moving up!

I think the OP do not know about "HSM with full-time manual override" means. Maybe when he noticed that the newer lens do not have a "AF/MF" switch and automatically think the newer version will not MF.

In fact, I'd rather use the one with full-time manual override.