Sigma 50mm 1.4 art vs Nikon 50mm 1.4g

hamlet

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Last edited:
Seems like the one on the right looks better. Maybe it's visual myopia. Can you switch position?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the Sigma's bokeh transition better than the Nikons, there's a lot less CA. But it looks very soft at f/1.4 in comparison to the Nikon.

It also looks to be about 2 stops lower in DOF compared to the Nikon which is interesting. (e.g., at f/8 it renders like the Nikon at f/4)

But for an extra $525 I really don't see any reason to pick the Sigma over the Nikon.

It's three times as heavy, twice as long, twice as exspensive, and requires larger--more expensive--filters.

Last edited:
I agree with Vince, to me the Nikon looks better, but like Brain said the bokeh is way smoother.

No thanks

I agree with Vince, to me the Nikon looks better, but like Brain said the bokeh is way smoother.

No thanks
Would you say that it is barry white smooth?

Personally I don't really care about Bokeh. I'll rather my viewer focus at the subject matter then looking at the Bokeh haha

Personally I don't really care about Bokeh. I'll rather my viewer focus at the subject matter then looking at the Bokeh haha

you would if you had a lens that rendered like this:
http://allphotolenses.com/public/files/users/image/14_jupiter_9_85mm_f2.0 bokeh jupiterf2.0.jpg

vs:
http://allphotolenses.com/public/files/users/image/13_minolta_md_rokkor_x_85mm_f2.0 bokeh minolta f2.8.jpg
The links don't seems to be working

Bokeh allows more emphasis on your subject, more background separation, therefore making your subject appear sharper and like its the only element.

Maybe haha

work for me, must be since youre on your phone?

Works for me, and huge difference!

I guess so I just looked on my PC. Looks cool but ... I won't be overly crazy about it. Not something that can't be achieved or at least close to it. Plus I rarely shoot at wide open aperture. Maybe it's just my shooting style.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back