Sigma 70-200 2.8 vs Canon 70-200 2.8 L

benstewart

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have to upgrade from my old Sigma 70-210 APO 2.8. I will be shooting for professional print in the near future and the Sigma is not sharp enough.

I've seen photos from a newer 70-200 and they look great.

My question is, which one should I get?

The Sigma is a DG lens, meaning it won't work on full frame cameras - if and when I get one.

The Canon L lens is obviously more expensive, heavier, but has incredibly image quality and is built like a tank.

I am an intern photojournalist for a local newspaper and will be shooting action sports portraits - lots of different sports too. Of course, either lens is good for the future - for a while at least.

If you can afford the Canon one, than get it.

Canon have discontinued the 2.8L (non-IS) lens in Europe. They'll stop making it in the USA too I guess.

Bother are very nice lenses. The canon is a tad sharper but the Sigma is also a very nice lens. If you can, save up for the IS. It really is a truly wonderful lens. Probably my favourite

Based on very high reviews of both lenses..

Why do you recommend the Canon over Sigma?

I currently have a Sigma 24-70 2.8 and I LOVE IT.

I also heard that rechipping might be necessary with the Sigma, and I'd rather not do that.

The canon is sealed, it covers a 35mm frame, and judging from my off brand lens experience, it's got to be built better.

The canon is sealed, it covers a 35mm frame, and judging from my off brand lens experience, it's got to be built better.

Exactly.

I have never used THAT particular lens, but I from my experience every L lens in the tele range is wonderfully bult.

Sigma does do some nice lenses too , but in this particular comparison, I would go for the Canon. Also that one is considered Canon's finest Zoom in terms of image quality.

It sounds like you see full-frame in your future so go for the Canon.

Btw are Canon only discontinuing this lens, or any lens that also exists with IS? Either way I think it's a shame, I'm not doubting the effectiveness of IS but I would have still thought there was a market for fast zooms without it.

If you really need f/2.8, save up for the 70-200/2.8IS. If not, go ahead and get the 70-200/4IS.

The /4 version is lighter, cheaper (if an L lens can be cheap) and has incredible image quality. The IS is not a bad thing. Combined with fast focus (which the Canons have), you have a true high quality point and shoot lens, which is invaluable for getting rare moments.

I also have gone through a Sigma vs Canon selection in the past, choosing between the Sigma 80-400 and Canon 100-400. Based on reviews, image quality tests and price, I chose the Sigma. I don't regret that I bought the Sigma but regret I didn't pick up the Canon instead - if you can understand the feeling.

If you really need f/2.8, save up for the 70-200/2.8IS. If not, go ahead and get the 70-200/4IS.

The /4 version is lighter, cheaper (if an L lens can be cheap) and has incredible image quality. The IS is not a bad thing. Combined with fast focus (which the Canons have), you have a true high quality point and shoot lens, which is invaluable for getting rare moments.

I also have gone through a Sigma vs Canon selection in the past, choosing between the Sigma 80-400 and Canon 100-400. Based on reviews, image quality tests and price, I chose the Sigma. I don't regret that I bought the Sigma but regret I didn't pick up the Canon instead - if you can understand the feeling.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I will be shooting alot of hockey and sports, so f/4 is not a good idea.

Any other thoughts? I am still contemplating...

Canon have discontinued the 2.8L (non-IS) lens in Europe. They'll stop making it in the USA too I guess.

Ah thats a shame.... I know many people who have shot without any IS for their entire lives and don't really see IS worth the $600 extra. They just want the great optics and build. Discontinuing the non-IS version will just push people towards other ( and almost as good) alternatives.

Having owned the Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX a few years ago I can say its a great lens AND IT DOES WORK ON FULL FRAME, I used mine on my old EOS 3, EOS 1nHS and EOS 1D

But I was having trouble holding it steady so I PX it for the Canon 70-200mm F2.8 IS.

The Canon is better built, not that the Sigma is bad its just that the Canon is VERY WELL BUILT. As you say if you don't need IS then save yourself a few hundred £$'s and go for the Sigma.

My personal experience... I love IS... I use it when appropriate.

But honestly... I still don't think it is a replacement for a good olfashioned tripod or monopod. This is especially true for sports.

My personal experience... I love IS... I use it when appropriate.

But honestly... I still don't think it is a replacement for a good olfashioned tripod or monopod. This is especially true for sports.

just try using a monopod while panning with a motorbike at 90mph 3meters away, no chance!

IS lens every time.

Everyone of my panning shots since getting the IS lens is better than anything I did with a monopod.

True for static shots, wildlife, landscapes etc then a Tripod is a must but for sports I disagree, I find I don't get the freedom of movement with either a monopod or tripod that I get with handholding a IS lens, but maybe thats just me :lol:

The Sigma is a DG lens, meaning it won't work on full frame cameras - if and when I get one.

Sigma DG lenses work on digital and 35mm cameras, while Sigma DC lenses are made specifically for digital slrs.

Most reactions

Back