Sigma 70-200 2.8 vs Canon 70-200 2.8 L

Sigma is the aftermarket when you cannot afford the brand lens c'mon this should be a simple one buy the Canon.

Sigma is the aftermarket when you cannot afford the brand lens c'mon this should be a simple one buy the Canon.

Will buy the Canon shortly. The Sigma isn't rated as well and isn't built as well.

just try using a monopod while panning with a motorbike at 90mph 3meters away, no chance!

Not any more difficult that running up and down the sidelines of a polo match. :p Ok.. I admit that was only two times in the distant past and I'm no pro (definitely not sports one). But you have to ask yourself...

What did they do before IS?

After an hour of constant shooting, can you still hold that lens as steady as when the shoot started?

What are you doing that these photographers haven't figured out?
http://www.usa.canon.com/html/advertising/popup/102906_white_lense_lg.html

hehehe.. couldn't help myself.

Anyways..... I see IS as a matter of convenience when I didn't bring or a monopod/tripod is just not possible. I definitely don't see it as a replacement for a solid support. A good support has always been a staple in a photographer's gear... I don't see IS changing that. but maybe thats just me :lol:

Never had a play with a 600mm but I know just how heavy a 500mm F4 is as I've a good friend with one

Go with the canon if you can afford to. Sigma lenses are not a good long term investment. I have a 28-70 2.8 Sigma that has some red fringing issues but is prety sharp, BUT it will not work correctly on the newest generation of Cameras. Now everyone talks about "rechiping", but Sigma will ONLY rechip lenses in their current line up. So, once the next generation of that lens is release (which happens often) your lens can no longer be "rechiped" and is an expensive throw away. If you have to buy aftermarket, buy Tamron. They are licensed by Canon to my understanding, and are not backward engineering.

/\ do I know you from DA??

I guess not then :lol:
DA is deviant art
I know someone on there called Thrumyeye thought it might be you :lol:

They are licensed by Canon to my understanding, and are not backward engineering.

Where did you hear about this? How long ago was did this "partnership" start? It was my understanding that no one was licensed by Canon... If this is true, I would definitely take that in consideration when/if I'm looking for a lens.

Most reactions

Back