Sigma 70-300 F4-5.6 APO - What can you say?

emmaica

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I hope to get a review about this lens from you guys who are using or have tried to use it.

Thanks in advance. :wink:

I own the nonAPO version of the lens - my view is that its a very good beginners lens, especially if you don't know that much about photography or what focal lengths you really want/need. Its cheap and makes a lot of compramises, but it is a good little lens - I grade it as a tripod - that meaning that a tripod under it is a really big help, and it does go soft at 300mm once you start going past 5m in range. However 70-300mm and macro (1:2, so half macro) is well worth the price it fits into.

I own the nonAPO version of the lens - my view is that its a very good beginners lens, especially if you don't know that much about photography or what focal lengths you really want/need. Its cheap and makes a lot of compramises, but it is a good little lens - I grade it as a tripod - that meaning that a tripod under it is a really big help, and it does go soft at 300mm once you start going past 5m in range. However 70-300mm and macro (1:2, so half macro) is well worth the price it fits into.
Ditto. I've also got the non-APO version. I mean it is not a masterpiece, but if your budget is low, what else can you get? As the saying goes, you get what you pay for, and here you do get $150 (or whatever it costs) worth of glass. You've just got to know it's limits. Bottom line - I am very happy with it, and since now I am more interested in getting a proper wide lens, it's going to stay in my bag for a long time. And one more thing - don't think of it as a macro lens...

I just bought the Sigma APO HSM with macro 2.8 and I love it, my photos have never been better,,:thumbup:

I just bought the Sigma APO HSM with macro 2.8 and I love it, my photos have never been better,,:thumbup:

can i see some of your pics taken with it? is is only for macro? thanks sir!:D

don't think of it as a macro lens...
can you post some of your pics taken that is not a macro shot? thanks for your kind consideration..

I was thinking about this for a little while, but decided to spend a bit more and get the Nikon 55-200mm AF-S VR. The VR is really nice to have. What camera body do you plan to use it on?

crop (not 100%) from a macro shot taken with sigma 70-300mm nonAPO version - taken from tripod:
IMG_0058b.jpg

full photo:
IMG_0058.jpg

flower macro photo example:
IMG_0068.jpg

can you post some of your pics taken that is not a macro shot? thanks for your kind consideration..
I would, but... I don't have any... when it comes to macro I prefer to use this lens together with a Raynox DCR250 macro converter. It may not be a pro solution, but I can get much sharper photos this way and don't have to use the soft 200-300mm end of the lens. Overread has posted some good examples of what the lens can do in terms of close-ups.

I was thinking about this for a little while, but decided to spend a bit more and get the Nikon 55-200mm AF-S VR. The VR is really nice to have. What camera body do you plan to use it on?

i currently own the Canon Rebel XSi sir.

crop (not 100%) from a macro shot taken with sigma 70-300mm nonAPO version - taken from tripod:
IMG_0058b.jpg

full photo:
IMG_0058.jpg

flower macro photo example:
IMG_0068.jpg

well these are pretty good macro shot youve got sir nice capture, how about a non-macro pics? thank you very much for enlightening

Hey, i have just recently bought the Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO macro lens, i am just a beginner so my pictures are not the best but with this lens my macro shots look really good and i would recommend this lens to anyone, hope that helps. Jon

Most reactions

Back