Sigma 70-300mm -f/4-5.6 DG Macro Nikon Mount

Yalson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all

So I bought this lens off ebay as a barely used lens and I'm having real trouble getting the focus to be clear. This is the best I can get the focus at a distance of just over 1.5 meters Yfrog Image : yfrog.com/7fdsc6540ej

compared with the best focus I can get from my 18-55mm kit lens Yfrog Image : yfrog.com/5xdsc6541gj I was wondering if any of you had any idea whether it's been damaged or I'm doing something wrong? I've been using it on a tripod to minimise movement. It uses manual focus only and there doesn't seem to be anything out of the ordinary with the function of the lens so I don't really understand what could be the problem. Not sure if this is the right place to post this but I couldn't see a technical thread. Any help would be great as I don't really want to have wasted money!

Thanks
Yalson

No the lens just stinks. started with this lens on my d80 a while back. I hated it....

Red edit..... Whoops..... I dont know why but I thought this was talking about the Tamron 70-300... I have the sigma 70-300
APO and it is a much better lens than the tamron. The Tamron Stink the sigma does not.

Last edited:
Well there are better lenses out there but it should certainly not be as bad as you are showing in that shot. I am inclined to think that you either have a damaged version or that the lens is out of sync with your camera body (meaning that it might be fine and sharp on the original owners camera but not upon your own body).
Sadly fixing either way would cost you and I would expect that the cost might be more than the lenses worth even if bought new.

+1 for the lens just absolutely sucking, it's OK for macro but anything else it fails utterly at.

*begs to differ just a little ;)*
3229231483_246a765e93_z.jpg

All available sizes | IMG_0285 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

All available sizes | IMG_0271 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

All available sizes | IMG_0323 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

As I said there is better out there and there are other options, but for it price and position its a decent performer with the APO version being a noticeable cut above the one I was using there.

*begs to differ just a little ;)*
3229231483_246a765e93_z.jpg

All available sizes | IMG_0285 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

All available sizes | IMG_0271 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

All available sizes | IMG_0323 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

As I said there is better out there and there are other options, but for it price and position its a decent performer with the APO version being a noticeable cut above the one I was using there.

LOL Im sorry please read my edited post. The sigma is good the tamron is bad.

I found that when I used it it gave far better performance when I was using a support - a beanbag on the ground; monopod; tripod (I was using a cheap £15 one at the time) - anything to help eliminate handshake really made a massive difference at the long end of the lens. Good holding technique and keeping fast shutter speed (ideally 1/420sec or faster) would also greatly improve ones results.

Yalson, I have read about a similar issue to what you are experiencing. I have not used this lens personally but I have read the the mounting area on this lens is detachable. From somebody else experience they screwed off the rear section and moderately tight screwed it back on and this solved the focusing issues. Give it a try maybe this will be the solution for you to.

Most reactions

Back