Sigma 85mm 1.4 Art

CThomas817

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Who owns this lens? How satisfied are you with it? I usually use the Nikkor 85mm 1.4g but this lens is more affordable for me and I have heard even sharper wide open.

Do you think the savings are worth the cumbersome size of the lens?

Thanks,

Christina

I was helping a lady with her D7200 and that lens. The focus was off a substantial amount to the left looking through the viewfinder. Gave her the link to a video on how to calibrate the lens in that camera. She did it and got the focus in the middle but then it back focused bad. She sent it back and picked up the Nikkor and now she is just thrilled. She thought it was her but in fact a poor copy of the sigma.

I was helping a lady with her D7200 and that lens. The focus was off a substantial amount to the left looking through the viewfinder. Gave her the link to a video on how to calibrate the lens in that camera. She did it and got the focus in the middle but then it back focused bad. She sent it back and picked up the Nikkor and now she is just thrilled. She thought it was her but in fact a poor copy of the sigma.

Seems a common issue. The sigmas are great... if you’re lucky enough to get a good copy

Seems a common issue. The sigmas are great... if you’re lucky enough to get a good copy

Destin, I respect you and your creativity so please don't take this as an insult but only my opinion from experience. These lenses are built poorly with no quality control. Some may be good but most will be bad is my experience. I followed a lot of peoples advise on here for recommendations and all of the sigmas were pretty bad unless you figured out how to compensate. This is in no way a bash but simply the experience. They are not well made despite how they feel, the proof is in the average user experience. I could never recommend them based on unpredictable results. I truly believe the positive results are lucky to say the least.

Destin, I respect you and your creativity so please don't take this as an insult but only my opinion from experience. These lenses are built poorly with no quality control. Some may be good but most will be bad is my experience. I followed a lot of peoples advise on here for recommendations and all of the sigmas were pretty bad unless you figured out how to compensate. This is in no way a bash but simply the experience. They are not well made despite how they feel, the proof is in the average user experience. I could never recommend them based on unpredictable results. I truly believe the positive results are lucky to say the least.

Which is why I clearly said “...if you’re lucky enough to get a good copy.”

I completely agree with you.

Ehhhhh...have you see the bokeh rendering of the 85mm Sigma f/1.4ART? Sharp yes! NOT a "pretty" imager.

Test chart scores are not real pictures. If you want biting sharpness, it typically comes at a price on simple lenses like 85mm primes.

And how much "sharper" can this lens be than one of Nikon's sharpest lenses? Five percent? Six percent? Ten percent?

What about the way it renders out of focus subjects in the close, de-focused zones?

What about the 85/1.4 AF-S G do you not like?

Do you know that the Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 AF-S G is as good, or better, than the f/1.4 model and it costs less than the 85/ART?

What do you want the lens for? Landscapes? Portraiture? Sports? Candid work on the street or at fairs and concerts,etc..?

And yes, as you put it, the "cumbersome size" of the 85mm ART...wow...it is BIG. Nothing like drawing attention to your lens!

Ehhhhh...have you see the bokeh rendering of the 85mm Sigma f/1.4ART? Sharp yes! NOT a "pretty" imager.

Test chart scores are not real pictures. If you want biting sharpness, it typically comes at a price on simple lenses like 85mm primes.

And how much "sharper" can this lens be than one of Nikon's sharpest lenses? Five percent? Six percent? Ten percent?

What about the way it renders out of focus subjects in the close, de-focused zones?

Do you know that the Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 AF-S G is as good, or better, than the f/1.4 model and it costs less than the 85/ART?

What do you want the lens for? Landscapes? Portraiture? Sports? Candid work on the street or at fairs and concerts,etc..?

And yes, as you put it, the "cumbersome size" of the 85mm ART...wow...it is BIG. Nothing like drawing attention to your lens!

The size of that thing is what drew me to talk with the lady, I had to know what it was, it was gerthy. Next thing you know, I'm helping her because she was frustrated. I should have clarified, she did go with the 1.8 version, which I recommended to her. She bought it from Nikon refurbished at about half the cost of the sigma. Funny thing, she called me last night and wanted a recommendation on a walk around zoom. I told her the Nikkor 17-55 2.8. Her husband and I talk about once a month, he scored some Red Wing tickets in December and him and I are going, lower bowl! Funny how photography brought new friends into my life.

Thanks Derrel. I'm using it for portraiture. I love the Nikon 85mm 1.4g and if money were not an issue this wouldn't even be a discussion. For me this is the lensI always rent for portraits; it's beautiful and consistent, but the price tag is hefty. The only reason I'm considering the Sigma is because its about $500 less and delivers a sharp image wide open. I have been looking for a Like New used Nikon and I have yet to find one reasonably priced free of dust and/or scratches. I looked on Amazon but the ones I found are from 3rd party sellers - how do you know they are USA items?

In relation to the focus issues etc, I think these are far less of an issue now that a dock can help with calibration, though I'd be pissed off having to fix a lens i just paid over 1000 for

Most reactions

New Topics

Back