Sigma DP1 or Lumix LX3?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by osman, May 11, 2009.

1. osman

osman TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I'm looking for a decent camera and am not sure which of these two to choose. They are similarly priced on places like Amazon and eBay and at the moment I'm leaning toward the LX3 but the DP1 looks like it'd be more fun.

Any ideas?

2. soylentgreen

soylentgreen TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I was looking at the DP2. That CMOS sensor is tempting and a f/2.8 lens to boot. 41mm focal range though. No zoom. Would suffice for what I want to shoot though, low-light PJ style. I currently have the Canon G10, and it is admirable. Stick a CMOS sensor in it and it would be off the charts.

3. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hardly. The appreciable noise differnece between CCD and CMOS is next to nothing. New sensors are CMOS as they are cheaper to produce. Newer cameras are better researched and perform better, but ultimately while these facts are correlated they have little in common.

That f/2.8 on a point and shoot is nothing fancy, nor anything to get excited about. The small sensors will still produce crap depth of field, and it says nothing about the quality of the glass. Heck given the absense of a lens mount and a mirror they could make a lens with nearly any aperture.

I had a lot of admiration for the Sigma DP1 / DP2 given it's use of a Foveron sensor, rather than a grey sensor with a color beyer filter on it. However from what I have read the performance of colour reproduction and noise was disapointing given its price and technology.
    From the looks of the Lumix LX3 I'd say it would be a good option. The idea of less megapixel + higher performance is a good one, but I haven't seen any examples of what it can do so I won't be bold enough to recommend it.

4. wgp1987

wgp1987 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    ew! buy a canon g9 or g10!